Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling a spa?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lake Nona, Florida

Filling a spa?

So we bought a used DreamMaker Spa on Craigslist and last weekend got it moved and sited.

We have an on-demand hot water heater with a bypass to flush it and I turned it down to 100 and filled the spa with a hose connected to the flush valve. Worked like a charm and the propane has got to be cheaper than heating all that water with electricity?

Anyway... DW read the manuals on-line later and found :

"fill the spa with cold (never warm or hot) water 150 to 200 mm (6 to 8) below the top edge of the spa. Do not overfill..."

huh? Any idea why? It also suggest a quarterly drain and refill - so I need to know what's up with this advice for next time.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastal, NJ

Re: Filling a spa?

I believe that's to avoid tripping the high-limit thermostat. If that detects the spa is overheating, it shuts down the heater. Appears you did it correctly, by adjusting the hot water heater down to 100.
    19,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16x32' vinyl, Hayward Tristar 3/4 HP pump, Hayward 4820 DE filter, 9 Aquatherm solar panels, Hayward H350FD heater, TF-100 test kit.