Am I just stupid? Can't figure out how to operate the valve

Jan 3, 2013
I just moved into a new house and didnt really get much instruction on operating the pool equipment. It appears that I need to turn a valve to divert the water from the pool loop to the inground spa loop. But try as I might, I can't get the valve(s) to turn. They are Pentair valves similar to the picture. What am I doing wrong?[attachment=0:2pexs7va]p_pentair_valve_d.gif[/attachment:2pexs7va]

Attachments

• p_pentair_valve_d.gif
    p_pentair_valve_d.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 103
Re: Am I just stupid? Can't figure out how to operate the va

Welcome to TFP.

First, you normally only want to attempt to turn the valve while the pump is off. Second, note the two pins inserted into the ring of holes around the edge of the top. If those pins are in the wrong place the valve can lock up.

It is possible for the valve to be blocked from moving by debris on the inside, but that is unusual.

I can try removing the pins but they just appear to be "stops". The valve is so solid that it feels like its locked and I thought I might be failing to see a release or something. Thanks for the reply.

Wild guess but on my valves you have to unscrew the center knob slightly, thus allowing turning of the actual valve. Hope it helped not didn't just waste your time.

4knights said:
Wild guess but on my valves you have to unscrew the center know slightly, thus allowing turning of the actual valve. Hope it helped not didn't just waste your time.

Yup. The knob in the middle can lock the handle down.

Post up some pictures of your actual equipment pad if you want further diagnosing.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks to everyone who tried to help and sorry for wasting your time. It was operator error. Two things learned 1) Valves are easier to turn with the pump off and 2) you gotta try a little harder than a 10 year old girl or else it doesnt matter how easy. Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.