Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I just stupid? Can't figure out how to operate the valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I just stupid? Can't figure out how to operate the valve

I just moved into a new house and didnt really get much instruction on operating the pool equipment. It appears that I need to turn a valve to divert the water from the pool loop to the inground spa loop. But try as I might, I can't get the valve(s) to turn. They are Pentair valves similar to the picture. What am I doing wrong?[attachment=0:2pexs7va]p_pentair_valve_d.gif[/attachment:2pexs7va]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I just stupid? Can't figure out how to operate the va

Welcome to TFP.

First, you normally only want to attempt to turn the valve while the pump is off. Second, note the two pins inserted into the ring of holes around the edge of the top. If those pins are in the wrong place the valve can lock up.

It is possible for the valve to be blocked from moving by debris on the inside, but that is unusual.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I can try removing the pins but they just appear to be "stops". The valve is so solid that it feels like its locked and I thought I might be failing to see a release or something. Thanks for the reply.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

4. Back To Top    #4

Wild guess but on my valves you have to unscrew the center knob slightly, thus allowing turning of the actual valve. Hope it helped not didn't just waste your time.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 4knights
    Wild guess but on my valves you have to unscrew the center know slightly, thus allowing turning of the actual valve. Hope it helped not didn't just waste your time.
    Yup. The knob in the middle can lock the handle down.

Post up some pictures of your actual equipment pad if you want further diagnosing.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to everyone who tried to help and sorry for wasting your time. It was operator error. Two things learned 1) Valves are easier to turn with the pump off and 2) you gotta try a little harder than a 10 year old girl or else it doesnt matter how easy. Thanks again