pool cleaner problems

Dec 21, 2012
Hello,
I just purchased a Legend ll pool cleaner online and installed it yesterday. So far I'm not impressed at all with this cleaner. It will not pick up any debri off the bottom, the sweeptail does not move, and the back wheels never touch the floor. I've read the manual front to back two times and have made all the recommended adjustments and nothing has worked so far. I'm only getting around 21RPM on the wheel rotation so I thought my next step should be to increase the psi. Right now my psi is set at around 22. I've read that it needs to be around 30 for the cleaner to function properly. Is this true? I have a Tegalus TA60/60D filter and a Marathon 1HP pump (5kc38sn608ax). Is it possible for this system to run at 30psi without damaging anything? How do you increase the pressure on this system? I've searched online for answers but come up short.
Thanks for all your help!!

When the filter pressure is high you will have a lower flow of water so you do not want the pressure on the filter high. The pump you refered to is the filteration pump it will not run the pool cleaner the legend ll requires a booster pump

Thank you for your response. The Pentair Legend ll is supposed to be a "boosterless" cleaner. Their website even said one was not required. This was the whole reason for purchasing it. Very disapointing.
Seems like there would be a way to adjust the psi of the water returning to the pool. Oh well, maybe I can return it.
Thanks again!

jackstraw2169 said:
Thank you for your response. The Pentair Legend ll is supposed to be a "boosterless" cleaner. Their website even said one was not required. This was the whole reason for purchasing it. Very disapointing.
Seems like there would be a way to adjust the psi of the water returning to the pool. Oh well, maybe I can return it.
Thanks again!

Do you have multiple returns to the pool? If so shut them off while using the cleaner. If not, can you check your suction side and see if any air in the pump basket. If you find air in the basket you could have a suction side leak.

jackstraw2169 said:
I do have two returns, one in the deep end and one in the shallow end. But I have no way of isolating one at a time. Do they make a cap that will screw in, In place of the eyeball jet cap?

The return fitting is typically in 3 parts. A hollow pipe insert that goes into the MIP threaded PVC pipe that is in the ground converting it from MIP to an externally threaded pipe; an eyeball; and a collar that fits onto the externally threaded pipe insert and holds the eyeball in. There is a tool made that fits into the insert (which is slotted) and allows it to be removed. Once removed you can put a threaded plug in place to shut off the flow. There are also expanding rubber plugs that can be used without removing the insert which can be simpler in this case. There are some good video's and instructions for the Polaris 360 which show using plugs to increase pressure - I'm surprised your unit didn't come with similar info.

pool cleaner problemsPosted: January 6th, 2013, 1:07 am

FYI: found the threaded plug with o-ring....and so far it works!! Actually had to slightly reduce the psi using the relief valve on the quik connect hose of the cleaner. Just a few more minor adjustments to the unit and I should be good to go.
Thanks for everyone's help and the Thanks TFP!

jackstraw2169 said:
FYI: found the threaded plug with o-ring....and so far it works!! Actually had to slightly reduce the psi using the relief valve on the quik connect hose of the cleaner. Just a few more minor adjustments to the unit and I should be good to go.
Thanks for everyone's help and the Thanks TFP!

FANTASTIC NEWS!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.