Trying to help a friend with his Pump Replacement

brian987

LifeTime Supporter
A friend's pool pump is needing replacement and I would like to offer some help. He has an in-ground, gunite, painted plastered pool. It is 16,000 gals with a DE filter. He also has a spa, not to mention a waterfall. He also uses a Polaris 280 with a dedicated booster pump. His current pump is by Jacuzzi...it hasn't been great since I have known him & he believes it is 2.5 hp. For a good mixture of efficiency & cost to use...can anyone suggest what pump I should recommend? I will probably be doing his install...so ease of install is important as well.
Thanks guys and ladies.

Without knowing the requirements of the water features it's hard for anyone to suggest a replacement other than what he has now. I'd think a 1½ or 2 hp Whisperflo 2-speed should be fine, but I really don't know. If you can get more info about the plumbing, spa and waterfall maybe Mark (mas985) the hydraulic guru will see this and can give you a good idea about what will work.

That is the one I was leaning towards. The actual waterfall doesn't require much...it is simply a basin that, once full, overflows into the pool. It is probably about 20 years old...nothing fancy...not to mention, it is very, very rarely used. The 2 speed should be more than enough for the spa as well because it has a separate pump for the needed boost when being used. And the only thing used less than the waterfall is the spa. Thanks.

So what other pump is used for the spa? Is it an air blower or a booster pump or a separate pump and plumbing for the jets?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Air blowers only add air to the jets but don't really make them any stronger so you can't rely on that.

What size is the plumbing for the pool & spa?

How long are the runs from the pump to pool & spa?

How many jets does the spa have?

What size and/or type of jet they are?

What type and size is the filter?

Does the filter have a backwash valve and what size is it?

I will answer the ones that I know for sure.
The return pipes are 1 1/2" pvc...
The supply are 2" to pump, then 1 1/2" to filter...
The runs are at most 35 ft...and that is just the farthest, the farthest skimmer is same...the closest is only about 8 ft and the closest skimmer is same.
Three jets to spa...they are a bit smaller than pool return...don't really know what you mean by type? Just a return with a directional head in place that water runs through.
There is one other regular size return to spa.
Spa has a drain and overflows into pool.

Spa can be separated from pool so it can be heated separately.
Sorry...don't know size of filter...it is Hayward DE (about 5 ft tall, if that helps).

Backwash valve is 1 1/2", I think.

Will try to get unkown details today.

The spa lines are 1.5"/2" as well?

If so, a 2 HP might be too big. The plumbing isn't really large enough to handle that big of a pump so most of the power is going to be wasted with friction loss.

The jet type is usually a venturi jet with either a 3/8" or 7/16" nozzle orifice. You have to look deep inside the spa return to see the nozzle which is embedded in the return line. That will dictate the flow rate required. But even at 7/16", the jets should only need about 20 GPM each and 60 GPM total so you really shouldn't need much of a pump to do that.

Is the fourth return run when the jets are run or just for spa circulation?

It would be good to know the current pump size/model# and the filter pressure when running in spa mode.

Also, the filter size is somewhat critical since you really shouldn't be exceeding recommended flow rates although the current pump may be currently doing that anyway.

I do believe that the current pump is too big...2.5 HP. It seems that it was a trend to put larger pumps than needed about 5 years ago. I have only been taking care of this pool for a short time so I haven't yet taken the filter apart for cleaning. If it isn't somewhat damaged, I will be surprised. The last service left them with Black Algae for 2 months...apparently didn't think it was an issue. And now that the pump is dead...I don't have a way of getting the spa running pressure. Also, yes, the 4 th jet just for recirculating purposes. Honestly, I don't even think the spa is an issue for them...they will probably retire in this home & they don't care about it. I just need to be sure it is more economical & does a better job of keeping the circulation responding. I hav someone coming to look at it & offer advice (someone recommend them to me...I'll keep you posted of the outcome. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.