Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Freeze protection mode is slowly draining my spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Freeze protection mode is slowly draining my spa

I turned on my spa last night for a New Years Eve dip, but when we got out there we discovered that the water level in the spa was down significantly (over a foot). It wasn't that way earlier in the day. Since then I have checked it a few times and it seems that when the freeze protection mode kicks on, the spa is slowly drained.

I have a shared pump for the pool and spa (Pentair Intellitouch i7+3), and I enabled freeze protection for both the pool and spa circuit so it alternates between them when activated (I also have freeze protection turned on for 2 other feature pumps that are independent of the filter pump). Every time I go out there to check it the valve configuration looks correct, but when I come out an hour later the spa water is down a little more. The valve actuators look like they are working correctly when I change between pool and spa mode myself.

Any ideas where to look?
    16k gal IG pool with SWG and DiamondBrite finish
    Pentair Intelliflo pump with 520 sq ft cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Freeze protection mode is slowly draining my spa

If the pump turns off when the valves switch from pool to spa, you are probably losing a little bit of water each cycle.