Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: testing salt levels

1. Back To Top    #1

testing salt levels

I am about to install an aquarite SWG 40,000 gallon system and want to make sure I have everything setup before hand. I've seen a lot on here about getting the salt level right but I'm not seeing lots of options for testing the salt level. I found a digital test for over $100 but dont' really want to spend that much if I don't have to. I read here that the strips are iffy at best so not sure I should go that route. I dont have the option of taking samples to be checked by someone because of where I live. What can you recommend? I am planning on buying a better multi test kit than I have right now also so if there is a combined kit that does salt that would be great.

Also is there anything else you would recommend doing or having before I install this thing?
    I have a 25K IG pool (concrete)
    I live in the Caribbean with poor infrastructure and lose power often.
    Hayward pump, Hayward clear star plus cartridge filter
    New to pool ownership

2. Back To Top    #2

New Caney, Texas

Re: testing salt levels

Salt test strips are the acceptable to test the salt level.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Salt strips get close enough because of the fairly wide range of acceptable salt levels. It does seem like they lose their effectiveness once they have expired, so don't stock up.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Orange County, California

My Aquarite displays the salt level. I also have a handheld digital tester and a calibration test fluid. I find that the Aquarite display is within 100 ppm of the digital measurement. The Aquarite reading (on my system) is close enough that test strips, etc. are not really needed. YMMV and HNY!
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter