Zodiac VS FloPro 2.0 pump had been working great until...

Dec 31, 2012
I purchased and installed a Zodiac VS FloPro 2.0 pump in late August 2011. It has been working great until about 10 days ago. I just noticed it wasn't working yesterday, though. It has 240 volts and the low voltage connections still seemed fine, but I re-connected the low voltage wiring on both ends just to be sure. The Jandy TouchLink Control states epump offline, as it appears others have seen. I think that something must have gone bad on one of the circuit boards. I spent over $900 on this pump. Does anyone know if this could be repaired?

Re: Zodiac VS FloPro 2.0 pump had been working great until..

Welcome to TFP!

Have you tried turning the circuit breaker for the pump off for several seconds and then back on again? Occasionally that resets a problem, especially if it is a software issue inside the pump controller.

It is impossible to give you an exact diagnosis without seeing the pump, but that does sound like lightning/surge damage to the motor speed controller, an issue which has been affecting a couple of different brands of variable speed pumps. If so the speed controller needs to be replaced, which isn't all that difficult but can get expensive. There are some simpler things that could be wrong, and even though they are unlikely, it is good to triple check to be sure it isn't one of the simple things. For example, I've heard of several cases where 240 volts was present, but was not actually fully connected to the motor. Make sure 240 volts appears at the motors power terminals and not just at the breaker.

Jason,

Thank you for the suggestions. I did have the power off for a few minutes while I completely re-connected the low voltage wires on each end of the 4-wire connector link between the motor and the power center mother board. The 240 Volts looks solid on the motor. Lightening strike seems unlikely, since I am in Northern California and I can't remember the last lightening storm.

Jandy/Zodiac won't give me any input about voltages to check on any of the boards on the motor, so I can't proceed any further on my own. It seems like I am going to have to have a service technician come out, and Jandy will provide them with information they won't to me.

Thanks again,
Dan

If you have one of the FloPro VS motors that has a square black box on the motor it is most likely a bad drive unit. They had a big problem with them and eventually gave up on them and started putting AO Smith variable speed motors on the back of them. If you bought it in August 2011 you are probably out of warranty. If that is the case PM me and I can see what I can do for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.