Cover for a freeform pool?

ultimate_ed

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2012
Manvel, TX
Everyone,

I'm going through my first "winter" (as much as we have in Houston) with my new pool. It's a freeform shape with a waterfall and a round raised hot tub on one end. (see the link in my signature for pictures).

I've got a 400kBtu heater for the spa and I used it once earlier in the fall to heat up the pool to a comfortable temperature - though that was only about a 10 degree lift. I don't expect to heat the pool often, but when I do, I'd like to get the best use of the heat that I'm putting in.

I know very little about covers. I'd be interested is putting something on during the heating up process that would reduce heat loss/evaporation to the atmosphere before we're ready to use the pool.

I could see building a skeleton frame of PVC pipe to span across sections of the pool and covering it with a tarps, but I'm curious of there's a better way to approach it.

THanks,

You want a standard solar pool cover, which floats on the surface of the water. Since it is a free form pool you will need to buy one large enough to cover the entire pool and then cut it to fit in the pool at the water line. I recommend getting an inexpensive one, since even the more expensive ones seem to only last a season or two anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.