Pool Timer

Dec 31, 2012
Hi everybody,

My wife and had an inground pool installed last summer (14x28) and was thinking about what we can do different for the upcoming summer regarding our pool heater. We are from Montreal therefore the temperature can vary a lot. I noticed that our pool heater mostly runs during the night (when everbody is sleeping and pool is not used). Is it possible to put a timer on the heater but keep the pump running? I run my pump 24/7.

Absolutely, you can set the timer up to have the pool warm at the times it is mostly used. Another way is to run your boiler 24/7, but utilise a pool cover to reduce gas use, depending on the type of cover your gas bill can drop substantially if you cover your pool at night etc.

The only issue with running your boiler on a timer is that when it does come on, it will use substantial gas to bring the pool back to the set temperature, which may even cost you more to run it that way. The most energy efficient way to run a pool is have a 24/7 run on the boiler and cover when not in use, and if indoor have the air temperature 1oC above the water temperature, but that may well not be suitable for you.

Thank you for the recommendation. Any suggestions on a pool cover or are they all the same? Meaning are they made from different material and are some better then other. My pool is salt base not sure if thAt makes a difference

I'm no expert on cover supplies but I frequently read posts regarding solar covers, as they divert solar energy into the pool water and provide good heat loss retention, to maximise reduction of gas use. Given your pool is 28x14 I think you could get away without a roller, which should offer you up a pretty high ROI on a high use cover. You should be able to pick up a solar cover for around CAN$150-200 which, given your location should yield a return well within the first year of use (ie the money saved on gas should pay for the cover fairly quickly.)

EDIT: For the purposes of covering a pool, there is no distinction between Salt water etc....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.