Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pop up head broke, plz help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pop up head broke, plz help

I just saw today that one of the pop up head broke, no idea why, is it common? what shall I do ? I am attaching some pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pop up head broke, plz help

You should be able to unscrew the whole piece and replace it. It might be a reverse thread. What brand is the cleaner system?

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It looks like an A&A pop up. You need a special tool to remove what remains of the broken head. The tool goes into the two slots along the outside and a quarter turn counterclockwise releases the head. Check the lid on the distribution valve for a manufacturers name. If it is A&A contact them. I'm pretty sure they are based in Phoenix.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks your response, Now the water is really cold, can this repair wait for 2-3 months, will it damage anything if kept like this ?
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It just means that the other heads in that cleaning zone won't get enough flow to work properly. It won't cause any problems.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Fatboy,
    If you are a Shasta pool then it is A and A. How old is your pool? Are you the original owner?
    I assume you are in the Phoenix area.
    If you are the original owner then the parts are covered for life, if not it will cost you a bit.
    There is one company in town that that just does infloor repairs.
    Troy's Aqua-blue Pool Service. 602-992-0654
    They have all the parts and know how to make it work like new.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-PB
    Fatboy,
    If you are a Shasta pool then it is A and A. How old is your pool? Are you the original owner?
    If you are the original owner then the parts are covered for life, if not it will cost you a bit.
    Yes, I have a Shasta pool.Pool was build in 2004, I am not the original owner, and I am in Phx area ! Any estimate on how much I should pay? can it be DIY ?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by fatboysam
    Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-PB
    Fatboy,
    Yes, I have a Shasta pool.Pool was build in 2004, I am not the original owner, and I am in Phx area ! Any estimate on how much I should pay? can it be DIY ?
    If it's an A&A (looks like style 3 if it is, can't see the top in your photos to be sure) then here is a link where you can purchase the head and the tool used to replace. The tool attaches on the end of a standard net/brush pool pole which allows replacement without having to get in the pool.

http://www.webpoolsupply.com/pop-up-...ement-heads-1/
    21K Gallon IGP w/Spa, Blue Lagoon Pebble-Tech, Pentair Easytouch 8, Pentair VS 3050 Pump
    Pentair 1 HP Booster Pump, Blue Square Q-360 In-Floor Cleaning System, Pentair IC 60 SWCG
    Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair UltraTemp 140 H/C Pump (coming soon)
    Spectrum 360 LED Lighting, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor Speed-Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

You don't need to buy the tool...I made one out of a couple nails and a little piece of a tree stake. I can post a picture tomorrow.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Picture as promised. I just hammered some 6d nails into the wood, then cut the heads off and rounded the edges with a dremel.

11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

11. Back To Top    #11

wow !! Thanks ,, I will try to make one