Upgrading to a larger pool. Need opinions

mtucker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Hudson Ohio
Purchased our Intex Easy Set 18X48 pool along with the Intex Krystal clear saltwater system. We knew this purchase would let us learn the curves of pool maintenance.Also bought the TF100 test kit.This forum was such a great help!! :-D

Looking at upgrading to a larger above ground pool.(Taking down the Intex was SO MUCH WORK) Any opinions from forum members who have purchased from Great Escape would be appreciated.

We are looking at purchasing an Evolution 52 X 18 with 100,000BTU heater, 2.5 hayward pump,maintenance kit.Included with the quote is a Zodiac Vision Pro system(Nature 2). Not going with that. Will use the BBB method. Any input would be appreciated.

If "2.5 hayward pump" means a 2.5 HP pump, then I strongly recommend getting a smaller pump. As a general rule pool kits come with pumps that are too large and filters that are too small. Ideally you want a small (perhaps 1 HP) two speed pump and a larger than usual filter. Larger pumps cost more to operate and provide little benefit. A two speed pump lets you run on low speed most of the time to save money and still have high speed available if you need it (say for vacuuming the pool).

I 2nd the 2 stage pump option. I run mine 24 hours a day on low and it costs like $25 or less a month on electric. Personally I like my cartridge filter but thats just me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.