Viewing unread doesn't keep track properly

UnderWaterVanya said:
I finally have a concrete example I can share:

I opened this thread from the "your posts" link using IE 9:
newbie-about-to-start-t54771-40.html#p452664

EDIT: Revisiting that thread after posting this using the first URL in this post took me to the correct post. So I'm at a loss as to explain why it behaved that way once and only once.

This does not seem to be consistent. Today when I click the first link (link above) I go to the wrong place in the thread every time. It doesn't change. I'm going to close browser and try again.

The other threads listed in the posts above seem to be working correctly when I click the links that failed to take me to the right place earlier today.

UnderWaterVanya said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
I finally have a concrete example I can share:

I opened this thread from the "your posts" link using IE 9:
newbie-about-to-start-t54771-40.html#p452664

EDIT: Revisiting that thread after posting this using the first URL in this post took me to the correct post. So I'm at a loss as to explain why it behaved that way once and only once.

This does not seem to be consistent. Today when I click the first link (link above) I go to the wrong place in the thread every time. It doesn't change. I'm going to close browser and try again.

The other threads listed in the posts above seem to be working correctly when I click the links that failed to take me to the right place earlier today.

This link is consistently giving me the wrong place in the thread. It is a post with a picture. If I go to the link on the right of the list of threads in the forum and choose latest post it takes me to the last post as it should.

Closing the browser does not help.
Using Mozilla with the same link does not change things. However since I wasn't logged in at first I did see the same item without any pictures displayed. After login when I went back to that link it took me the same place with the pictures.

JasonLion said:
That particular kind of detail doesn't really help. What would be more interesting to know is, when it fails and you go back to the previous page and follow the link again do you end up in the same place? And if so, if you exit the browser, launch it again, and then try the link again what happens.
For me, in every one of these example cases, the problem only occurs for the first access. If I click on the URL and press return/enter it then works fine. It also works fine on reload and when quitting and starting up the browser. So this problem does appear to be Apple trying to scroll before the page is fully loaded (especially with images that take longer to load).

Now the last example given for newbie-about-to-start-t54771-40.html#p452664 is different. Here, the link gets replaced with newbie-about-to-start-installing-swcg-t54771-40.html most of the time. The proper link for that post is newbie-about-to-start-installing-swcg-t54771-40.html#p452664 so notice that all three of these are subtly different.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Where did you get that URL? As far as I can tell the actual URL should be:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/newbie-about-to-start-installing-swcg-t54771-40.html#p452664

My version appears to work consistently, while yours ends up forcing a redirect because the topic name is not correct in the URL. The redirect appears to be what causes the "#p452664" portion to be lost.

All of this could have happened if the topic title changed between when you got the URL and now, but I don't remember that happening. If the topic title has not changed you should never have been given the URL you posted. Of course if the topic title *did* change, I can understand why the old URL is not working correctly.

JasonLion said:
That isn't really surprising, nor is it related to the previous example. The one I am looking for is where the subject text in the message got truncated, which didn't happen in your new example.

Understood - I'll keep looking for the trundication if it happens again. I'm not sure why it is unsurprising that it took me to post from October of last year - I have read within that thread since then...

Perhaps you are not explaining what happened correctly, but as far as I can tell you clicked a link that should have taken you to #p453394, and it displayed something else on the same page from an earlier date. If so, that is the known browser bug we discussed earlier.

JasonLion said:
Perhaps you are not explaining what happened correctly, but as far as I can tell you clicked a link that should have taken you to #p453394, and it displayed something else on the same page from an earlier date. If so, that is the known browser bug we discussed earlier.

Maybe I got lost in between. I thought that bug only impacted Safari - I'm on IE 9.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.