Easy touch control of an intelliflo

Apr 25, 2008
San Carlos Mexico
I believe you have to dedicate a circuit for each of the 4 functions on the intelliflo. I have not powered it up yet and the install instructions say nothing about multiple circuits. Seeing that there is only one set of motor leads I assume you jumper the line and the load across all four. The low voltage line must tell it to do what each circuit is set for.

Anybody have one that has done this differently?

The EasyTouch system controls the IntelliFlo through a low voltage data cable, none of the AC relays are actually wired to the IntelliFlo. Each of the four speeds can optionally be associated with one of the relays, which can be used to switch something else that should be turned on at that speed.

Hi Jason,

I think we are saying the same thing. I need to use a separate relay if I want the pump to run at high speed for say a water feature and one for low speed for filter. I believe you are saying i can change speeds through the easy touch via the cable. I just can' program different speeds unless I use a relay and program that relay/circuit as to speed duration start time etc..

Am I correct in that?

The terminology is very confusing. I wish Pentair had used a more straightforward system.

You are right if you are talking about logical associations, just not if talking about physical wiring. Each speed can be logically associated with a "circuit", which can then be selected by a button on the remote and scheduled. That circuit will also have a physical relay associated with it, which does not get physically wired to the IntelliFlo.

ok lets get basic. To change a speed with the program I need a relay. 1 relay for each speed providing it is programed. If it is done via a circuit I need to have the lline and the load on each relay.

Perhaps I will wire it to one relay and see how it performs because I am not sure how the communication is achomplished via the low voltage cable and the intelliflo. The visual aids seem to indicate when you opt for a circuit it tells you the programing specifics for that circuit. That said I seems to me that each circuit performs one programed function.

Hehe you are right they do leave a lot to the imagination :roll:

Let me be clear... you absolutely do not need to use any relays to control intelliflo speeds. The pump communicates directly with the easytouch via digital. You use a relay only to turn power to the pump on and off. You can go into the menus on the easytouch controller and change each of the 4 speeds in 100 RPM increments.

I didn't setup my pump myself, my PB did, I just know the basics. I'll breeze through the manual to see if I can find the exact instructions, but in the mean time:

Page 19 of this document shows where to wire the digital cable form the IntelliFlo to the EasyTouch circuit board. This document is the users guide for the EasyTouch and should detail how to setup the menus.

After a few hours trying to understand the programing I am as confused as when I started. This unit's operation intructions are so poorly worded I am unable to understand how to configure two programs on the same relay with different start times , duration and pump speed. I have been assured that is possible yet I am unable to achomplish this simple task.

Easy Touch does not get my vote. It may be a good quality product but if you can't program it it is worthless. Pentair's support is also non existent.

There must be something out there that works better than this.

Thanks EskimoPie,

The pages of the manual are dog eared from my pawing over them.

I have the wiring all done and it will change speeds. I can also set up the schedule. I am having trouble scheduling two programs with diferent speeds on the same relay.

I guess I will have to go to school because I just do not see a way to do that on one relay. I hope you see something that I have missed or this thing is going back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't give up, it's really not all that complicated... setup might be a little tough, but once it's setup, operation is simple and intuitive.

I belive the first step is to go to settings -> Circuit Names and define the first one as POOL and the second one as HISPD (or something that makes sense to you). Then go to setting -> IntelliFlo 4 and set speed 1 to a low RPM, maybe 1500, and set the circuit to POOL. Then set speed 2 to a higher RPM, maybe 2800 and set the circuit to HISPD. This should keep it at low speed whenever the pool pump is on and then you can set a program schedule (or manually) to switch to the higherspeed mode for a few hours.

On my setup, I'm using 7 of the 10 circuits... they are:
1: Circuit = Spa
Name = SPA

2: Circuit = Pool
Name = POOL

3: Circuit = Aux1
Name = WATERFALL

4: Circuit = Aux2
Name = POOL LIGHT

5: Circuit = Aux3
Name = SPA LIGHT

6: Circuit = Aux4
Name = TURBOS

7: Circuit = Aux5
Name = SPILLWAY

8 and 9 Nothing

10: Circuit = AUXX
Name = SOLAR

Turbos is my high-speed mode used for more flow through the in-floor heads. I don't believe there is anything wired to the Aux4 relay, and under CIRCUIT TYPES, it's set to GENERIC. I don't think anything is wired to my AUX5 relay either... it's just used to turn the valves to source from the pool and return to the spa.

I think mine may be different than yours in that mine is a 2 body of water system for a pool/spa. In a 1 body system, you probably won't have the SPA circuit. So the first one will probably be defaulted to Pool... I believe it's hard-coded to operate the pool pump relay. You'll make Circuit #2 a high speed mode. Don't try to wire extra relays, like I said I'm 99% sure you don't need to do that for this. The pool gets it's power off the pump relay which is Circuit 'Pool'. Once you have this working I'd be happy to walk you through setting up a program schedule.

Hope this is helping.

So where is your pool pump powered from? It should be connected to the top left relay which is labeled FILTER PUMP. I believe that is the relay that's hard-coded to the POOL circuit name. All the other relays should have nothing on them (assuming of course that you're not using them for other things.)

I think part of the confusing might have come from thinking CIRCUIT and RELAY are the same thing. You have 10 circuits which can be set to do any number of things and any circuit can control any relay (except for the FILTER PUMP relay). The relays are labled AUX1 through AUX7 (or 3 if you only have a 4 relay system).

EDIT: I'm thinking I might be mistaken about the second paragraph... I think each relay might be always dedicated to a certain circuit. The key is that you don't have to use that relay if you don't want to, you can use the circuit to do something that doesn't require the relay, like changing pump speeds or turning valves. So on a 4 relay system I think you'll have 6 circuits... the two that don't have relays would be the SPA circuit and the SOLAR circuit. On my 8 relay system I have 10 total circuits. This may change between the 1 body of water system and the 2 body of water system... on the 1 body system you don't have a spa so I don't know if they leave you the extra circuit or if you only have 5 circuits in that case.

Ok, the final step is the programming... Since it's the POOL circuit that turns the pump on and off, you'll set a schedule for POOL to run all day, say from 9:00-5:00PM. You'll then create a different program to turn your HISPD (or whatever you called it) circuit on inside of that period. So perhaps you'll have the HISPD circuit activate from 9:01 to 12:00. I'm not sure if it's important to have that 1 minute of pad in there, but it's only a minute so I have mine like that. Keep in mind that the HISPD circuit doesn't control the FILTER PUMP relay so you have to turn the pump on first with the POOL circuit.

The programmed schedules are discrete commands... in the example above at 9:00 it sends the command to turn the FILTER PUMP relay on. At 9:01 it'll send the command to turn the speed up on the pump. At 12:00 it'll send the command to turn the speed down, and at 5:00 it'll turn the FILTER PUMP relay off. What this means is that if you manually do something else, such as turn the pump off manually via the easytouch control panel at say 10:00 AM, then it won't turn on again (automatically that is) until the next discrete command is sent to turn the relay on. In this case at 9:00 the next day.

I belive the first step is to go to settings -> Circuit Names and define the first one as POOL and the second one as HISPD (or something that makes sense to you). Then go to setting -> IntelliFlo 4 and set speed 1 to a low RPM, maybe 1500, and set the circuit to POOL. Then set speed 2 to a higher RPM, maybe 2800 and set the circuit to HISPD. This should keep it at low speed whenever the pool pump is on and then you can set a program schedule (or manually) to switch to the higherspeed mode for a few hours.[/quote]

Well we think alike as that is exactly how I had it

Well I wiped the memory then reprogramed it again and now it runs continuously. Will not shut off. I did however find an easy way to turn it off and on. You just have to throw the breaker. That's what I call automation. The trash man cometh.

This unit is crafted well meaning the fit and finish, but the software is a nightmare and it is not user friendly. Worst pool product I have encountered so far.

Fair warning stay away

have you tried calling Pentair? Their normal support line people sometimes aren't all that knowledgeable... but if you call 800-831-7133 and enter extension 8454 you'll get directly to their smart guys. Ask for an automation tech and tell him your problem... I'm sure they can fix you up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.