Pool turning very dark@43 deg???

Jul 14, 2012
Blountsville, AL
I have a new pool finished in August. It is a SW pool and has been perfect until now. Water has been getting cloudy for the last week and now I can barely see the main drains. It doesn't look green, just very cloudy. It has been raining off and on lately and the water temp varies from 42-46 deg.

Water info:
North Alabama
43 deg water temp
I run the filter about once a week in now that it's cold, but ran it for 36 hours over Christmas.
TF-100 bought in July.
Chemicals were at 50* in shop.
FC = 6
CC = 0
PH = 7.8
TA = 50
CH = 170
CYA = ~47 (45-50)

What should I do since the CC's are 0?? Is it just dirt being suspended from the rain?

The title of your post had me expecting a completely different explanation. I second what Dave said. You still have to keep your water moving even though the water is cold.

How long do you run it for once a week? Probably better to split that time up over each day or every other day. I'm sitting at 49 degrees and I run it for 3 hours a day everyday. We have been getting a ton of rain and I'm clear as always.

Your filter should be ok since it's so new unless you had heavy use or a lot of organic matter (e.g. leaves) in the fall.

Sorry I haven't posted on this in a while, as I have been very busy with my business lately and haven't had time to fool with the pool. I didn't think a pic would show the water very well in this messy weather we have been having lately also. Anyway, I noticed that in good weather, the pool would start to look better. When it would start raining it would look worse. I ran the pump for days and it didn't make much difference. Today, I came in from the shop and noticed a brown-looking cloud in the pool. It had just came a heavy rain and the ground is just saturated with all the rains we have been having the last month.

I walked out to the pool and noticed muddy water coming from the skimmer. Then it hit me. I had put in the 1" overflow pipes from the skimmer and had them stubbed out about 6" past the cement deck. One side was fine as it has not been filled in with topsoil yet and could drain well. The other one was not. The ditch had filled in and muddy water was running back into the skimmer. I just capped it off for now as we still have to do more dirt work and can't put in the pipes yet.

We are supposed to be wet for the next 7 days and very warm, so I put the drain plugs back in the pumps and filter. I started it up and backwashed the filter and pumped the pool down a few inches. I plan to let it run all night and then about 4 hours a day until it gets cold again and see if that solves the problem. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.