Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool turning very dark@43 deg???

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool turning very dark@43 deg???

I have a new pool finished in August. It is a SW pool and has been perfect until now. Water has been getting cloudy for the last week and now I can barely see the main drains. It doesn't look green, just very cloudy. It has been raining off and on lately and the water temp varies from 42-46 deg.

Water info:
    North Alabama
    43 deg water temp
    I run the filter about once a week in now that it's cold, but ran it for 36 hours over Christmas.
    TF-100 bought in July.
    Chemicals were at 50* in shop.
    FC = 6
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.8
    TA = 50
    CH = 170
    CYA = ~47 (45-50)

What should I do since the CC's are 0?? Is it just dirt being suspended from the rain?
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool turning very dark@43 deg???

You're probably not running the pump enough to keep it clear. You can either run the pump more or just live with it till spring.

You should probably bring the CH up if this is a plaster pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

This is a vinyl pool. I may run the pump some more then. Thanks!
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

4. Back To Top    #4

The title of your post had me expecting a completely different explanation. I second what Dave said. You still have to keep your water moving even though the water is cold.

How long do you run it for once a week? Probably better to split that time up over each day or every other day. I'm sitting at 49 degrees and I run it for 3 hours a day everyday. We have been getting a ton of rain and I'm clear as always.

Your filter should be ok since it's so new unless you had heavy use or a lot of organic matter (e.g. leaves) in the fall.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool has been crystal clear up until last weekend. Came home Sunday at lunch and noticed it looking bad. I ran the pump from Sunday evening until Monday night and then again all day Christmas. Didn't make any difference.
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

6. Back To Top    #6

I have ran the pump now for 48 hours straight and it looks the same or maybe a little worse. Gonna shutdown the pump and let it sit until I can come up with another solution.
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Do you have a pic you can show us?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry I haven't posted on this in a while, as I have been very busy with my business lately and haven't had time to fool with the pool. I didn't think a pic would show the water very well in this messy weather we have been having lately also. Anyway, I noticed that in good weather, the pool would start to look better. When it would start raining it would look worse. I ran the pump for days and it didn't make much difference. Today, I came in from the shop and noticed a brown-looking cloud in the pool. It had just came a heavy rain and the ground is just saturated with all the rains we have been having the last month.

I walked out to the pool and noticed muddy water coming from the skimmer. Then it hit me. I had put in the 1" overflow pipes from the skimmer and had them stubbed out about 6" past the cement deck. One side was fine as it has not been filled in with topsoil yet and could drain well. The other one was not. The ditch had filled in and muddy water was running back into the skimmer. I just capped it off for now as we still have to do more dirt work and can't put in the pipes yet.

We are supposed to be wet for the next 7 days and very warm, so I put the drain plugs back in the pumps and filter. I started it up and backwashed the filter and pumped the pool down a few inches. I plan to let it run all night and then about 4 hours a day until it gets cold again and see if that solves the problem. Thanks again!
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2