Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I replace or fix my Jacuzzi

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I replace or fix my Jacuzzi

I have a Jacuzzi hot tub that is 11 years old. The temperature sensor has gone bad and will cost a few hundred dollars to fix because the tub is built into a deck and the deck needs to be disassembled to fix it. I am not 100% certain it is the temp sensor, but reading online that looks like it is the most likely cause. It is displaying --- as an error code and is in watchdog mode.

I need new pillows, and when it rains heavy sometimes the display will flash, requiring me to reset the breaker to get it to stop, so it could also be a board failure.

The ozonator element is 4 years old.

My question is….should I repair the spa, or at this point I am likely to have a heater or pump failure and should just replace the entire hot tub.

The current spa is a J330, I have a quote for a J345 installed for 8300

TIA
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I replace or fix my Jacuzzi

I suppose that depends on your own preference, but if it doesn't leak and is in otherwise good condition, I personally would fix it. I'm not sure what pump you have on that model, but my jacuzzi is 17 years old and only now have I had to replace the 2.5 hp variable pump motor at a cost including labor etc. of $800 -- so a tenth of the cost to replace the whole unit

When I debated repair/replace, the repairman said mine was in excellent condition so it was really a matter of whether I wanted something new or was content with what I had.

What error code are you getting?
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

3. Back To Top    #3

I am getting "---" which indicates the watchdog feature has been activated. Most of what I read is that it is most likely a temperature sensor, but the whole board flashing thing when it rains makes me wonder if it is a bad board.
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I think if a board is bad, it's bad irrespective of weather. Sounds more like a loose connection or other exposure that could be remedied without replacing the board.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains