MasterTemp - Both Spa On and Pool On Lights Blinking Rapidly

Jul 9, 2012
MN
I have a MasterTemp 250 propane heater which I installed about a month ago. The heater has ran for no more than ten hours to date. It is installed indoors to heat an indoor pool and is not exposed to the elements. The heater was turned off for the last week. I went to turn the heater on today by pressing the Pool On button. Immediately upon pressing the Pool On button, both the Pool On and Spa On lights began to blink rapidly. No other error lights are on on the display or within the unit. I have verified that the proper voltage is supplied to the unit and that the correct voltage plug is in the unit and making contact. As I mentioned, the unit has been working fine until today. I have reset power to the unit as well. The instant power is supplied to the heater, both lights begin to blink rapidly. Nothing is ever displayed on the digital readout either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Without having any sort of indication as to the issue, I need some guidance.

Re: MasterTemp - Both Spa On and Pool On Lights Blinking Rap

If you take the top off the unit and flip it over, are there any led's lit on the system board?

Thank you for the quick reply! I just verified again and no, there are no other LEDs lit on the board. The only lights that come on are the Pool On and Spa On lights which blink rapidly.

In order to try to resolve this issue as quickly as possible I had also posted the question on Pentair's PoolFYI forum. To keep this thread up to date I will copy and paste the posts from there. Please feel free to provide any advice that you may have as well. We have a big New Year's pool party planned and I need to get this running.

Pentair Tech:
I would start with the membrane pad that has the buttons on it. Disconnect this from the control board then you can manually activate pool or spa. There are 6 pins on the board. The one closest to the yellow button is ground. Momentarily connect ground to the one above it to activate spa (see attachment). See if it acts crazy like that then.

If that doesn't solve it, there could be a safety circuit issue. I would unplug all the plugs on the board except for the J7 plug (power to the board) and try again. If it still acts crazy, I'd say the circuit board has a problem.

My Response:
Ben,
Thank you for the prompt reply. I disconnected the membrane and supplied power to the heater. Both Pool On and Spa On blinked rapidly again. I then disconnected all other plugs except J7 and supplied power to the unit again. The lights continue to blink rapidly. By your comment, I am assuming that this means something is wrong with the circuit board.
I do have another identical Mastertemp 250 which I installed at the same time on our spa (the pool and spa have completely separate systems). Would it be helpful to swap the circuit board from the spa heater to the pool heater to ensure that this is the problem, or will that risk harming the spa board?

Attachments

• membrane.jpg
    membrane.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 27

Problem resolved. After working with the Pentair Tech we were able to narrow it down to the circuit board being faulty. I have an identical heater which I installed on our Spa at the same time. Swapping circuit boards confirmed the problem. Pentair is covering the circuit board under warranty. I only am being charged the shipping because I want it overnighted to be ready for our New Year's party. The Pentair techs did a wonderful job!

Excellent. Yeah that's one where you would have to swap out parts to see what's wrong. It's odd that the board went like that. Out of curiosity, you say the heater is located indoors. Is there an excessive amount of humidity in the room where it's located? Just wondering if the board shorted itself do to moisture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.