Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWG before or after filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG before or after filter?

OK, so I hired a company to install my SWG. They plumbed it in after the pump before the filter.

My pool cleaner says the SWG should have been installed after the filter.

Who is correct?

Thanks

David
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG before or after filter?

AFTER the filter. Putting the SWG before the filter can lead to an explosion.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

OMG Why are pool builders the sketchiest people on the planet?

Here is a picture of the installation:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Even in the manual it shows after the filter.
    http://www.inyopools.com/manuals/664/20 ... l_-_V1.pdf
    http://www.compupoolproducts.com/pdf/CP ... merica.pdf

Also I DON"T SEE BONDING WIRE!!!!!
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Well that has to be frustrating. I would have put it right there where your feeder is now, that would have been perfect.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

A salt system should always be the last item in line before the water returns to the pool. I'd call your builder and ask them to come out and install it properly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Almost two weeks later and they have not fixed it yet. I can't do the PVC work so I am going to hire the local pool cleaning guy fix this. That pool building company just got a couple hundred bucks to create a mess, and I have not been able to run my filter for weeks (good thing it is winter).

I have to vent. I have done some big repairs to do on this pool recently - it's about 20 years old - and dealing with the pool industry has been

The pool has to be resurfaced and the decking re-done at some point, but I am so burnt out from the sketchiness of pool people - the thought of doing a project like that is scary.

As a new pool owner, people have asked me the hardest part of owning a pool has been - and I answer "the pool service industry"

You'd think it would be easy to find good pool people in Texas.

I am lucky to have you guys and this forum and I did not blow up my pool equipment by running that SWG :

8. Back To Top    #8

*Update*

Just got a call - the pool builders can be here on Friday afternoon.

I am debating whether to use them or to just have the local cleaning company fix the mistake.

It's the same guy who did the install - so I have zero confidence he knows what he is doing

9. Back To Top    #9

*Update*

I decided to have my brilliant plumber do the PVC work.

I am not waiting until Friday to turn my pump on, and of course, the second pool cleaning/install guy did not call me back today.

I am happy to give business to the plumber, who shows up on time and promptly returns phone calls.

Now, I just have to figure out how to connect that Bonding wire.

10. Back To Top    #10

Bonding wire (8 AWG bare solid copper wire) will run from the bonding screw on the SWCG to the bonding screw on the pump, and the pump bonding wire should go to the external bonding lug. (Bonding is different than grounding.)

http://www.ehow.com/how_7682927_ground- ... pumps.html

As a side note, take before/after pictures and give the bill to the original install guy.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

um that SWG before the tab feeder can be dangerous

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    um that SWG before the tab feeder can be dangerous
    I'm replacing the tab feeder. That's where I am putting the swg. But thanks for pointing that out.

13. Back To Top    #13

All done!

SWG moved and bonded :

14. Back To Top    #14

I would have pulled all that PVC coming out of the pump going to the valve and done it all new. PVC is cheap.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I would have pulled all that PVC coming out of the pump going to the valve and done it all new. PVC is cheap.
    I know, it's ugly. The pool guy didn't want to crack the PVC where it was glued into the pump (or just did the easiest job possible).
    At some point I might re-do it, but it works for now.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    Bonding wire (8 AWG bare solid copper wire) will run from the bonding screw on the SWCG to the bonding screw on the pump, and the pump bonding wire should go to the external bonding lug. (Bonding is different than grounding.)
    My SWG is roughed in and my pump bonded. I cannot find any place on the SWG to bond it? It is entirely plastic with no exposed metal anywhere? Is this a optional thing?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by davelinde
    My SWG is roughed in and my pump bonded. I cannot find any place on the SWG to bond it? It is entirely plastic with no exposed metal anywhere? Is this a optional thing?
    There was a screw hole for bonding on the SWG, but we couldn't find the bonding screw, and that part was plastic (there was probably metal inside the casing that the screw touched), so the electrician attached to a random metal part of the SWG casing for the bonding wire. He also said that the equipment was already grounded, and that bonding was just a second level of protection, and that code had not always required it, and he didn't seem to think it was that important, but that was just his opinion.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Drockfresh
    Quote Originally Posted by davelinde
    (Bonding is different than grounding.)
    Is this a optional thing?
    ...code had not always required it, and he didn't seem to think it was that important, but that was just his opinion.
    I'll let the electrician and code enforcement guys work it out then (I'm new build, not repair and subject to inspections). There is a similar confusion about the LED lit bubbler - it is all plastic and the niche is already set in concrete, not bonded - while the pool light niche (also all plastic) IS bonded...
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

19. Back To Top    #19

Bonding has been required on all permanently installed pools in all areas with electrical code requirements for quite some time. The details have changed, ie gotten more complicated, but the basic requirement has been around for quite a while. I suppose your area might have started to require electrical code compliance relatively recently, in which case bonding might be new in that specific location.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

My electrician is an older guy, so when he said the code changed "recently" it could be 10 or 20 years. The pool is in Austin, Texas, and they are extremely strict about code enforcement here. My pool pump was not bonded, but I have no way of knowing when it was installed, but it had been operated that way for years. That being said, the previous owners also had the main electric panel for the house next to the pool (you could put your foot in the pool and easily touch the electric panel and get fried), and the pool was WAY out of code. It was insane that they had the electric box next to the pool. We had to get everything to code. Even though the electrician felt bonding was not a huge deal, I still had him bond the pump and the SWG. It was not a big project, took him less than an hour, and money well spent. Better to be as safe as possible, and bring everything up to code.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast