Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Ecostar Pump Freeze Protection Setting

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Ecostar Pump Freeze Protection Setting

I had an Ecostar pump installed back in September and was bummed that I couldn't run it to its' full potential from the Aqua Plus controller I have. My question is how do you enable the freeze protection on the pump? I can't find it in the manual or anywhere online. I disabled to freeze protection from the controller itself since it doesn't control the pump any longer. Any help is much appreciated.
    15,000 gallon, Cartridge, In-Ground, Plaster Pool and Spa, Saltwater, Hayward AquaPlus Automated Chlorinator with Total Pool Chemistry Acid Feed System.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Ecostar Pump

I don't believe that the EcoStar pumps have builtin freeze protection. You need to use an external controller if you want automatic freeze protection. Depending on your situation, manually turning the pump on when a freeze is expected usually works fairly well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Press menu, press and hold < > and it will unlock configuration menu. Press > till you get to “low temp operation” it takes more than 7 presses to get to it. There you can enable or disable. I think the next press will get to the speed it will run at. Press again and you can set temp. Not sure why but none of this is in the manual.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

You're a lifesaver. This has been bugging me for the last month and now that it's getting cold it was bugging me even more. I would think this would be something in the manual, it's pretty important. Either way thank you very much for your help.
    15,000 gallon, Cartridge, In-Ground, Plaster Pool and Spa, Saltwater, Hayward AquaPlus Automated Chlorinator with Total Pool Chemistry Acid Feed System.

5. Back To Top    #5

I don’t remember where I read about the freeze protection either. When I got the pump and read the manual there is no mention of the freeze protection and I just stumbled across it just playing around with the settings. Glad to help. This forum has helped me so much it's nice to give back a little.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Hayward Ecostar Pump Freeze Protection Setting

This is good info. I hope you don't mind, I edited the thread title to help someone find it in the future.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Neat, now I have to go back and see what else is hidden in that menu
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Has anyone been able to activate the Freeze Protection using the menue steps above. I tried it on my ECO Star but the menu's only options were TIMERS - SPEED - DIAGNOSTIC. I did not see TEMP CONTROL. ?

rmose
    16,000 gallon, IG, plaster, filter= DE 60 sq ft, Pump= Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP variable speed, Build date= 2004, SPA, Heater= Pentair natural gas 400k BTU, Cleaner= Hayward Navigator (Pool equipment installed 2 feet above pool water level)

9. Back To Top    #9

Your menu should have Timers- Speed- Diagnostic- Configuration
    Press menu till you get to configuration menu. It should say locked. Push and hold down < > at the same time till it says unlocked. Press > nine times and you will get to where you can enable freeze settings. Press > again and you can set temp and speed for freeze setting. When you get through you have to press + to save settings and the pump will restart.

10. Back To Top    #10

As it turns out I was not unlocking the "configuration" menu correctly. I tried it again step by step and It worked. This pump is the Bomb! Thanks Mike.

mose

Screen enclosed (helps keep the leaves out) 16K gal approximate 16x30 (custom shape) 18ft long x 3ft high moss rock active waterfall, elevated 4 jet spa with 5 tier flagstone spill over, fountain in center of spa, Hayward Ecostar pump, Hayward Pro Grid DE6020 filter, Hayward series H400 heater, Aqua Rite salt chlorine generator 25K gallons with T-CELL-15 for 40,000 gal (original still producing since 2004), Hayward Pool Vac XL Pool Cleaner, Automated sprinkler zone dedicated to pool fill.
    16,000 gallon, IG, plaster, filter= DE 60 sq ft, Pump= Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP variable speed, Build date= 2004, SPA, Heater= Pentair natural gas 400k BTU, Cleaner= Hayward Navigator (Pool equipment installed 2 feet above pool water level)

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mikespoolfl View Post
    Your menu should have Timers- Speed- Diagnostic- Configuration
    Press menu till you get to configuration menu. It should say locked. Push and hold down < > at the same time till it says unlocked. Press > nine times and you will get to where you can enable freeze settings. Press > again and you can set temp and speed for freeze setting. When you get through you have to press + to save settings and the pump will restart.
    Does anyone know if the Hayward MaxFlo has a similar setting buried in the menu? I have the SP2302VSP.
    23 kgal pebble tek pool, Hayward SP2302 VSP, Clean and Clear Plus 320 cartridge filter, 2" PVC, Kreepy Krauly suction pool cleaner, dual water-fall, no heat or spa, and a broken Pentair SWG!

12. Back To Top    #12

The ecostar does not have built in freeze protection. It does have a low temp setting that only keeps the drive at or above the low temp set point. It is not intended to protect the system from freezing.

The maxflo does not have freeze protection or a low temp setting.