Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Panicking

1. Back To Top    #1

6mo old vinyl 36k gal in ground pool with no heater. Went to Florida for vacation. Dumb me didn't close the pool. Forecasted temps back home were not bad when I left (28 lows) so I set the pump to run from dusk till dawn. Unfortunately, weather folks were wrong. Tonight it will get down to 10 degrees and will not reach 25 for a high tomorrow So the pipes wouldn't freeze, I had a friend go by and turn the pump on yesterday to round the clock. Problem is, this includes the big slide running too. Due to it being Christmas and treacherous roads back home, i don't have anyone to check on it or make big decisions. What is the worst that could happen?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Panicking

If your pump keeps running, you should be okay. I'd be concerned about a power failure or ice forming on the slide and causing the water to run out of the pool which would shut down the flow when it gets below the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Panicking

Thanks so much. That was worst case scenario in my mind too, losing a few thousand gallons, and maybe burning the motor up, or a pipe bursting.