Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Little Giant Pool Cover Pump Questions...

1. Back To Top    #1

Little Giant Pool Cover Pump Questions...

New to pools this year... I did close for the first time and that seemed to go well thanks to you guys... But now I am wondering... I still have my pool cover pump on my cover... it's the Little Giant brand and seems lo like to sit in a small pool of water all the time... so when it gets cold it will freeze (has done so already a few times). When I start to notice this should I unplug till I see water pooling up agn? I am afraid that it will freeze up and try to pump and burn its self up... One time already it wouldn't pump into the hose... I pulled it out, took it apart and cleaned it and put it back in and it just started working... suspect blockage but not sure... it was trying to pump that whole day till I noticed it wasn't... right now it pumps like brand new... I want to keep it that way.

please let me know.. I just want to do the right thing...
    Pool 16 x 33.5 Foxx Pool with rounded corners 3.5 at each end and 5+ in the middle (16000 GAL)

Equipment - 300 LB Hayward filter with a Pentair SuperFlo pump (3/4 HP). Also Hayward H series Heater and a dedicated jet for a Polaris 280 with a booster pump (3/4HP). Hayward Chlorinator CL200.

Pool has Main Drain, 2 return Jets with 1 inch eyeballs, a skimmer with floating weir, and the dedicated Polaris jet. Also has a valve for the Waterslide.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Little Giant Pool Cover Pump Questions...

Unplugging it is probably the best thing to do when it's going to freeze. I'd do as you say and just leave it unplugged until there's enough water to pump off and then run it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Little Giant Pool Cover Pump Questions...

thanks... seems to make sense... even though its automatic... I am afraid it will cause damage... I will unplug till I see water pooling around it... Just some wet snow at the moment.. that will turn to ice I bet...
    Pool 16 x 33.5 Foxx Pool with rounded corners 3.5 at each end and 5+ in the middle (16000 GAL)

Equipment - 300 LB Hayward filter with a Pentair SuperFlo pump (3/4 HP). Also Hayward H series Heater and a dedicated jet for a Polaris 280 with a booster pump (3/4HP). Hayward Chlorinator CL200.

Pool has Main Drain, 2 return Jets with 1 inch eyeballs, a skimmer with floating weir, and the dedicated Polaris jet. Also has a valve for the Waterslide.