Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter

1. Back To Top    #1

filter

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and to owning a pool. Just bought a house that has one and found this site. I've learned so much from TFP and appreciate any help I can get in the future.
    Can someone tell me if there is an advantage to running your filter at night rather during the day (or vise versa)? I'm not worried about the energy usage so much, mainly just wondering if FC will stay in the pool longer with less water movement during the day. The pool is closed for the winter but is not covered. I'm taking this time to learn everything I can before Spring.

I live in Spanish Fort, AL (close to Mobile, Northern Gulf Coast).
    Pool: 18x36
    ~20,000 (I think)
    sand
    IG
    vinyl

Thanks!!
    James

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter

The FC will be consumed a little faster when it is circulating only because it is making contact with things that need to be removed from your water. I don't think the difference would be enough to justify only running the pump at night to conserve FC levels.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    The FC will be consumed a little faster when it is circulating only because it is making contact with things that need to be removed from your water. I don't think the difference would be enough to justify only running the pump at night to conserve FC levels.
    I have a similar train of thought, In my opinion running at night rather as at day is only really worthwhile where the house has an off peak electricity meter and they are mostly extinct nowadays.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your help you guys.
    I have one more qestion. I've looked on this forum for information regarding rain water in the pool and have come up short on answers. Where I live, it normally does not rain all day during the summer but we'll get afternoon thundstorms that may dump an inch or more in a short amount of time. And it may happen every afternoon for a couple of weeks or so. What do I need to look out for, in regards to chemical balance? I bet there is an article somewhere on this site but I have not come across it yet. Thanks for your help!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I don't think there is an article. Generally, rainwater has almost no affect on most pools unless the water runs into the pool from the decking. A 1" rain in a 48" deep pool makes for a 2% change in the chemistry. (that's overly simplified but you get the idea)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks again and have a wonderful Christmas.