New Pump and Filter. How to get rid of the algae

Aug 17, 2012
Inland Empire, Ca.
Hi, This my second posting here . Trouble Free Pool has been a great help over the last few months. We were having too many problems with the original intex pump and sand filter including salt water generator. We moved up to a Hayward 1.5hp pump and 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter. What a difference. In the process of the change over algae moved in and took over. I'm not sure what to do? Do I need to drain the pool and get rid of the salt water? I would appreciate any help.

poolman35 said:
We were having too many problems with the original intex pump and sand filter including salt water generator. We moved up to a Hayward 1.5hp pump and 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter. What a difference. In the process of the change over algae moved in and took over. I'm not sure what to do? Do I need to drain the pool and get rid of the salt water? I would appreciate any help.

The salt in the water for the Intex SWG is not going to hurt anything. You can leave it or if the salt bothers you drain it and replace the water. How high is your CYA? If you were using BBB recommended levels then that alone may drive you to do a partial water replacement. Post some test numbers so we can give you better advice if possible.

Sent via Tapatalk...

poolman35 said:
Here are some numbers: Thanks for the help...

F/C= 5
PH = 8.0
T/a = 120
CYA = 30
CH = 230

bobodaclown said:
Nope. You need to follow the shocking procedure it's a procedure not a product.
pool-school/defeating_algae

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Those numbers are all fairly good except the pH is too high. What is the water temp? The advice on shocking is spot on as far as I can tell. CYA looks good for a BBB pool also.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.