Using adhesive to bond replacement pool coping?

Jul 21, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
Need some saged advice.

I have to replace the bull nosed slate coping which has severely eroded due to the SWG system. Some of the existing tiles have already popped off and I suspect I'll be able to remove the remaining ones as they've become quite soft. The grout between the coping also seems like it comes up pretty easy (it's colored grout not morter).

Would it be feasible to lay/fasten the new coping stones directly on the existing level morter bed using an adhesive like Morterbond etc? I'd like to avoid chipping out the existing morter to reduce my risk of damaging the waterline tiles which are still in good shape. I'm guessing that there is some risk that there would be some void areas between the stone & adhesive where moisture could collect. However, freeze events are minimal and generally last for a couple hours (more like frost warnings in the north) here in Houston.

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.