Another black algae question?

rmnkys

Dec 21, 2012
I have a 14000 gallon plaster pool with a 3m quartz bottom and tile edge.

The Black algae is taking over.

I will be draining my pool because the water needs to be changed, but If I drain my pool, will the black algae die? I would assume that since there is no water, once I scrape the "head" off with a Chlorine tablet, there will be nothing to feed off of therefore it will die.

Exactly why are you draining it? What chemical has gotten so far out of control that you have to drain it (CH, CYA, etc).

Draining it won't necessarily kill the black algae but once it's drained you can scrub it well with a bleach solution making sure to scrub the heads off and that will kill it. Once you get rid of it you will have to maintain the pool correctly or it will come back. Read Pool School and the forum to learn how to do that.

Honestly, I want to drain because I was out of town for a few months and the pool got out of hand. The kids and wife basically threw their hands up at it and did not care and let it go. Therefore the green algae is now all over and now starting to be taken over by black. I planning on draining, a good chlorine scrub, wire brushes all over the black algae, and then starting with fresh water and new chemicals, and a clean filter (im using the tall hayward DE filter "grids") I also have a few leaks on the pump piping that I need to fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.