Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Christmas dinner - what's on the menu?

1. Back To Top    #1

Christmas dinner - what's on the menu?

We're having a standing rib roast. I've done these a few times in the past in the smoker but the one I used required a lot of babysitting to stoke the firebox and adjust the dampers to regulate the air flow to try and hold the temperature somewhat constant. This year we'll just be baking it in the oven.

My wife pre-made some dinner rolls (and froze them) but other than that I don't have a clue what sides we are having as she, her Mom and our daughters have done all the planning. I am sure it will be great.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Christmas dinner - what's on the menu?

Fried Turkey, cornbread dressing, green beans, mustard greens & sweet potato casserole.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Deep fried turkey, ham and......well i guess thats all I care about lol. I finally bought a turkey deep fryer for thanksgiving so I'll be using it again for xmas.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Same here on the turkey. That oil is too expensive and need to get more mileage out of it. Cleaned it and stored it in the crawlspace after Thanksgiving. Sure hope Chem Geek doesn't tell me why I can't use it again.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by renovxpt
    Same here on the turkey. That oil is too expensive and need to get more mileage out of it. Cleaned it and stored it in the crawlspace after Thanksgiving. Sure hope Chem Geek doesn't tell me why I can't use it again.

LOL yeah me too I wasnt really ready for the sticker shock on the oil. Its crazy expensive!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Stevereno, we are also having standing rib roast this year and we will be roasting it in the oven. The sides will be mashed taters w/sour cream & chives (we use green onion tops instead of chives ),a simple green salad, mandarin orange salad, garlic bread & libations.......

ETA: I forgot to mention the au Jus and lots of it!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Y'all are makin me hungry!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Rib roast, Turkey, Ham, Mash Taters, Corn Caserole, plus... 15 people. Woo Hoo
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

We're doing a low country boil. Potatoes, corn on the cob, sausage, shrimp and crab legs. I am VERY tired of turkey and all the stress of all the side dishes (augratin potatoes, creamed corn, collard greens, stuffing not to mention the pies! All made from scratch of course).

I'll prep everything then my husband and son do the boil. Put it all in the middle of the table and the party is ON! Clean up? Take the leftovers and any dishes off the table, and roll up the table cloth (newspaper or for Christmas I'll get a vinyl Christmas table cloth that can be thrown away) and just toss everythin in the trash can.

Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Would you believe grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup?
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

11. Back To Top    #11

Brown sugar glazed ham, roasted chicken with cajun power garlic sauce and rice, mac and cheese, mashed taters, and pie.

EDIT: Oh and sweet tea. Can't forget the the sweet tea!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

My "Christmas Roast" which I do only occasionally. It is a chuck roast done in garlic and crushed tomatoes in a Dutch oven after browning.

Scalloped potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, various breads, homemade 3 ginger gingerbread (powder, fresh, crystallized), various other pies etc.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Doing the same old routine of: visiting the father-in-laws family on Christmas Eve - probably going to be shrimp and wings, just a bunch of finger foods on a plate. Christmas day will be at the mother-in-laws which I've heard it will be really simple soup and some kind of sandwich meal, but she's forgiven due to surgery last week.

My childhood traditions are almost gone..... guess the changes come around when I get old and are the oldest of the generation..... will bring back the turkey for Thanksgiving and the ham on Christmas.

Just a Virginia man following the southern family ways of Mississippi life I guess.
    24'x52" round AG 13,000 gallons - 150# Pentair SD-40 sand filter - 1hp Pentair Dynamo pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Late to the game, but our Christmas dinner has always been simple...go to the deli on Christmas eve and buy sub rolls and all different kinds of meats/cheeses/condiments. Everyone makes their own sandwiches on a paper plate. No cooking or dishes!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

Since we tend to host both families here one year we had frozen lasagna and salad from a bag. Best ever from where I sit...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump