Can you add bleach using the puck feeder?

UnderWaterVanya

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
My pool is covered with a safety cover but not closed. I may yet fully close but so far I haven't. If I want to agreed bleach I have an access at the ladder but this is not near a return. Can I stop the pump, add liquid bleach to the puck feeder, and with the feeder flow on high, close it up and run it to mix the bleach in and is this safe.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I wouldn't. It's generally a bad idea to mix chlorine types outside the water, and there's sure to be so trichlor remnants in the feeder somewhere.

JohnT said:
I wouldn't. It's generally a bad idea to mix chlorine types outside the water, and there's sure to be so trichlor remnants in the feeder somewhere.
My impression was that sodium hypochlorite and trichlor did not have any problem but I will admit I haven't checked carefully. The puck feeder is empty and has been on full flow for six months... So residual amounts of trichlor may be there but no more than in the water. Still caution is better than guessing.

Sent via Tapatalk...

DBfan187 said:
I have seen a tab feeder actually melt from pouring in cal-hypo while a few tabs were in there. The unit melted like a candle and started to lean over towards the ground. It resembled something like a slinky.
I knew those were bad juju if mixed.

- Sent using Tapatalk

chem geek said:
Though it's not as explosive as Cal-Hypo with Trichlor, you don't want to mix any hypochlorite with any residual Trichlor as it can produce toxic nitrogen trichloride gasses and if enough builds up then that too can be explosive.
Did not know this. The skimmer is pretty easy to uncover - can I slowly add bleach there? Perhaps prediluted? Pump would be on.

- Sent using Tapatalk

UnderWaterVanya said:
The skimmer is pretty easy to uncover - can I slowly add bleach there? Perhaps prediluted? Pump would be on.
Yes, that would be fine with the pump on. Just pour slowly to get maximum dilution. You shouldn't need to pre-dilute. Because the hypochlorite is alkaline and not acidic, it's not as damaging to pump materials and filters. The active chlorine level is also more limited as a result of the higher pH where the maximum is at a dilution of roughly 1:25 where the pH in buffered pool water is around 9.8. If you dilute less, the active chlorine level is lower but the pH is higher (at 1:8 it's 10.6). If you dilute more, then the active chlorine level is also lower and the pH is lower as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.