Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you add bleach using the puck feeder?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you add bleach using the puck feeder?

My pool is covered with a safety cover but not closed. I may yet fully close but so far I haven't. If I want to agreed bleach I have an access at the ladder but this is not near a return. Can I stop the pump, add liquid bleach to the puck feeder, and with the feeder flow on high, close it up and run it to mix the bleach in and is this safe.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you add bleach using the puck feeder?

I wouldn't. It's generally a bad idea to mix chlorine types outside the water, and there's sure to be so trichlor remnants in the feeder somewhere.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't do it if there's any residual puck material in there. I'm not sure if it will blow up, but who wants to risk it?
    http://fire-expert.com/pool_chemical_explosion2.htm
    [youtube:1brhmcm0]XYI3bIYl1UI[/youtube:1brhmcm0]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I wouldn't. It's generally a bad idea to mix chlorine types outside the water, and there's sure to be so trichlor remnants in the feeder somewhere.
    My impression was that sodium hypochlorite and trichlor did not have any problem but I will admit I haven't checked carefully. The puck feeder is empty and has been on full flow for six months... So residual amounts of trichlor may be there but no more than in the water. Still caution is better than guessing.

Sent via Tapatalk...

5. Back To Top    #5

Though it's not as explosive as Cal-Hypo with Trichlor, you don't want to mix any hypochlorite with any residual Trichlor as it can produce toxic nitrogen trichloride gasses and if enough builds up then that too can be explosive.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I have seen a tab feeder actually melt from pouring in cal-hypo while a few tabs were in there. The unit melted like a candle and started to lean over towards the ground. It resembled something like a slinky.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    I have seen a tab feeder actually melt from pouring in cal-hypo while a few tabs were in there. The unit melted like a candle and started to lean over towards the ground. It resembled something like a slinky.
    I knew those were bad juju if mixed.

- Sent using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Though it's not as explosive as Cal-Hypo with Trichlor, you don't want to mix any hypochlorite with any residual Trichlor as it can produce toxic nitrogen trichloride gasses and if enough builds up then that too can be explosive.
    Did not know this. The skimmer is pretty easy to uncover - can I slowly add bleach there? Perhaps prediluted? Pump would be on.

- Sent using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

That would be a better alternative. Most pools in our area are so cold now that very little chlorine is needed to control algea growth.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    The skimmer is pretty easy to uncover - can I slowly add bleach there? Perhaps prediluted? Pump would be on.
    Yes, that would be fine with the pump on. Just pour slowly to get maximum dilution. You shouldn't need to pre-dilute. Because the hypochlorite is alkaline and not acidic, it's not as damaging to pump materials and filters. The active chlorine level is also more limited as a result of the higher pH where the maximum is at a dilution of roughly 1:25 where the pH in buffered pool water is around 9.8. If you dilute less, the active chlorine level is lower but the pH is higher (at 1:8 it's 10.6). If you dilute more, then the active chlorine level is also lower and the pH is lower as well.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"