Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter refill? Necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter refill? Necessary?

I refilled my spa about a month ago before it got too cold here. I got the water balanced and started on my dichlor for CYA and chlorine. I have since neglected maintenance on it, but it has also not been during this time (or at all since the refill). Should this water still be okay to re-balance (if necessary) and "shock" or is it likely that I need to dump and refill it again?
    Under Construction - Coleman 18' x 48" Above Ground Pool (6200 gal)
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, 14", 2800 GPH
    Sioux City, IA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter refill? Necessary?

Test it. It doesn't wear out. Algae also doesn't grow much when the water gets cold, so even if the FC is low, the water will probably still be clear.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I'll check it. The water hasn't been cold.. I've kept it on and at it's normal temperature, but like I said it hasn't been used and the lid has been closed.

I'll run through all the tests and see where it's at before proceeding.
    Sioux City, IA

4. Back To Top    #4

If there's nothing visibly wrong such as dull/cloudy water or biofilms on spa surfaces, then the main test is to see the 24-hour chlorine loss rate with no bather load. With no ozonator and fairly new water, the loss should be around 25% at typical hot spa temperatures. With an ozonator or with older water (i.e. a spa that's been used a lot before changing the water) it might be 50% or more loss. If the loss you measure is significantly higher than this, then you've got something growing in your spa and may need to decontaminate it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

When doing the chlorine loss test should I bring it to 10ppm and then check it in 24 hours? Or at what level do I start the test?
    Sioux City, IA

6. Back To Top    #6

You can set the chlorine to it's normal daily maintenance level which is probably in the 2-4 ppm range. For an accurate loss test, use a 25 ml sample size for the FAS-DPD test so that you get a 0.2 ppm resolution. This is one of the few times when such higher accuracy is useful. The problem with setting the FC too high is that it will overcome some of the CYA so have more than proportionally more active chlorine and that can throw off the loss rate having it be higher and therefore fooling you.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, perfect I will give that a try and post back.
    Sioux City, IA

8. Back To Top    #8

Test results:

PH - 7.5
    TA - 110
    CH - 220
    CYA - 25
    FC - 0
    CC - < 1 (.4'ish)

300 gal spa, 100 degrees. Pool calculator says .3oz dichlor will raise FC by 4.1 ppm and CYA by 3.8 ppm.

Going to go ahead and add that, then check it tomorrow at about this time to see where it is. Water was clear and nothing floating or scummy about it so hopefully it will be okay.
    Sioux City, IA

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, it's not every good to have the FC get to 0. It only takes some number of hours for biofilm to form to the point where even then dosing with chlorine won't get rid of it. You should probably test the chlorine level about 15 minutes after you've added it, assuming your circulation pump is on in your spa.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry chem geek, I didn't get your message until this morning. I just went out to check it this afternoon and it's down to about 1.4PPM from 4 about 24 hours ago. Could this still be salvageable or am I emptying?
    Sioux City, IA

11. Back To Top    #11

That's a 65% loss over 24 hours. Do you have an ozonator? If you do and it is strong or on a lot of the time, then one could have that kind of loss. If you don't have an ozonator, then that's unusually high and you can try shocking the water to see if it helps.

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds good... on 12/24 at about 10PM I ran it up to about 20ppm with 6% bleach. I'll check it tonight and see where it's sitting.
    Sioux City, IA

13. Back To Top    #13

Checked it and it was down to 2PPM. Ran it back up to 20PPM, will check it again tonight and see if it's getting any better or still losing.
    Sioux City, IA

14. Back To Top    #14

You're losing an awful lot of chlorine without any bather load. If this keeps up, then you may need to decontaminate your spa because something in it is consuming a lot of chlorine.

15. Back To Top    #15

I agree with you.. but at 10 degrees outside, chances are pretty good if I empty it I won't be filling it back up. Thanks for your help on this.. I will give it a few more doses and if it doesn't stabilize I'll decontaminate and dump.
    Sioux City, IA