i think i have a leak in a new tub

TIMMAH

Jun 16, 2009
i got a hot springs vangard two weeks ago. what a pain this tub has been. anyways it looked like i was lossing water so i topped it off yeaterday just above the neck jets. i'm having water problems so i shocked it again lastnignt and today. so tub was open for about an hour or a little longer. i lost a min of 5 gallons of water. since i wasn't sure how far above the neck jet i was. 5 gallons of water just covered the neck jets.

i called the spa place i bought the tub from and they told me i could lose a inch of water in a hour with the top off. that's like 20+ gallons witch i know better. it was 75-78 out yesterday and in the 60's lasnight. spa temp was 101. i've had a tub for 11 years and never noticed water loss like that unless i had a leak.

he told me to keep the cover on for 24hr and see if it loses any water.

so has anyone notice any water loss day to day?

if it's been leaking from day one you think i can get them to replace the tub instead of fixing it?

Not a lot of experience with hot tubs, but 1" seems like a lot in one day ... even with the higher temps, I would not think that is normal evaporation.

This is an above ground spa right? Seems like you should be able to see the water leaking on the ground if it was leaking (maybe not as obvious if it is sitting on pavers or dirt).

You can always do the bucket test - where you put a bucket on the top step of the spa so that the top of the bucket is a bit out of the water. Fill it with water to the same level as the spa. If evaporation is the culprit, the water in the bucket and the spa should drop at about the same rate. If the spa level drops a lot faster than the bucket, that of course means a leak. Depending on the depth of the spa step, you may need to put something under the bucket so that the top of the bucket is out of the water.
Mike

mike not a bad idea. but i think i might of found the reason. the CoverCradle II Cover Lifter they installed sits too high and there is a small gap between the cover and the top of the tub if i just close it. i need to grab the front handle on the cover and pull it a hair forward and i think it closes all the way then. i'll check it tomorrow and see if there is still a gap.

they say the foam filled spas can hold alot of water before they start to drip. but it's raining now i'll have to check in a few days. i found water a few times but i was already messing with the spa. so i can't say where it came from. i need to remember to check before i lift the cover ect...

TIMMAH said:
i got a hot springs vangard two weeks ago. what a pain this tub has been. anyways it looked like i was lossing water so i topped it off yeaterday just above the neck jets. i'm having water problems so i shocked it again lastnignt and today. so tub was open for about an hour or a little longer. i lost a min of 5 gallons of water. since i wasn't sure how far above the neck jet i was. 5 gallons of water just covered the neck jets.

i called the spa place i bought the tub from and they told me i could lose a inch of water in a hour with the top off. that's like 20+ gallons witch i know better. it was 75-78 out yesterday and in the 60's lasnight. spa temp was 101. i've had a tub for 11 years and never noticed water loss like that unless i had a leak.

he told me to keep the cover on for 24hr and see if it loses any water.

so has anyone notice any water loss day to day?

if it's been leaking from day one you think i can get them to replace the tub instead of fixing it?

If you think you are losing water, then you probably are. I had the same situation 6 weeks ago and I kept looking and looking until I found the wet spot under the tub. I called the people who installed it and a couple of visits later, it was repaired.

You should not notice anywhere close to 1" of water loss in a 24 hour period. If you are, then you have a leak.

i'm not losing 1 inch in 24 hours. the spa guy said i could lose 1 inch a hour witch i didn't believe. i'm in florida by the beach. we have high humidity and dew points most of the time

with the top on i didn't notice a level drop in 36 hours. i ran the jets for 10 minutes lastnight and i had to top it off with 3 gallons of water this morning. then i ran the jets to drop the brmine level for 20 minutes. i lost about 3 gallons it looks like. so i'm losing 3 gallons for about 20 minutes with the jets on high while mixing the chemicals in a 400 gallon tub. i have the water level and jets set so i get no splash out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.