question on shocking process and measuring FC

jws13

Jun 16, 2012
I am in the process of shocking my pool, got a little cloudy due to lapse of mind, and I was wondering about how long to keep the FC at the shock level. I have followed the shock in pasted below, but my water is not quite crystal clear and I was wondering if I had to maintain the shock fc level until it is clear. My cc is at or near 0 and my FC loss overnight is negligible.

I was also wondering is there a way to measure my FC without using the powder/crystals I received in the TF100 testing kit. My cya is somewhere between 60-70 so my idea FC is 7-8 which is obviously above the 5 that the simple test equipment will read

Shocking:
Measure the FC level

Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)

Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
CC is 0.5 or lower;

An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;

And the water is clear.

Brush the entire pool once a day

Backwash or clean the filter as needed

Post your full test numbers and we will chime in if anything else nigh be causing the cloudy look. I suspect you need to keep going but without numbers it is hard to say.

Sent via Tapatalk...

but my water is not quite crystal clear and I was wondering if I had to maintain the shock fc level until it is clear
That's an often asked question and the answer is technically, "No", but practically, "Yes". :?: :?:

We make crystal clear water as the third criteria to end the shock process because.....
a. it normally helps the water clear a little quicker
b. it clears out any last remaining living organics
c. it encourages folks not to give up the process too soon. If you leave any living algae, it can return quickly and with a vengeance

How long has your water been not quite crystal clear? Have you backwashed/cleaned your filter? Sometimes this part just takes some patience.

The whole point of the FAS/DPD test (with the powder) is it'c accuracy. I would say that once you have established that your FC is staying consistent, you could switch over to the simpler OTO test for daily tests......it'll reassure you the FC is ABOUT the same.

However, for really good FC management, you need the accuracy of the FAS/DPD at least weekly (many prefer to use it daily anyway) .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.