Cover Inground Pool

Dec 1, 2010
Massachusetts
So my cover keeps blowing into my 18*36 inground pool I had the water bags on last year but the freezing did damage to my stamped concrete finish. My guess is the when the water bags freeze they expand and since they are frozen to the concrete surface like a glue is pulls the concrete finish off. Not cool! Any alternative solutions out there? Pressure treated boards all the way around?
I'd like to get a nice mesh loop loc type of cover one day but they are too expensive for me now. The pool has a spill over hot tub so that would be a custom cover I need which is like $3500.
Thanks

The water bags most likely aren't the cause of the deterioration of the deck. The most likely culprit is the trapping of moisture between the cover and the concrete with freeze and thaw. About the only other way to cover it is a loop-loc style cover.

There isn't anything that I know of that will stop this fromhappening. What is causing this is the change in temperatures on a day to day basis. It allows condensation to form and it soaks into the concrete then when temperatures drop the moisture freezes and swells causing the concrete to chip.

I do seal it every year with a nice acrylic one. I'm convinced that as the water bag freezes it pulls up on the tarp which is frozen to the concrete. Water expands as it freezes. I'm hoping the foam will provide enough flexibility to offset that effect.

You can use 5 gallon buckets full of water, this might have less of a footprint compared to a water bag. You can usually score a bunch free buckets from places like ice cream parlors etc. that get ingredients in 5 gallon buckets.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.