Upgrading power panel

Sep 25, 2012
Dunedin, FL
Here is my rusting power panel:

IMG_3471-001_zps4fde8c2c.jpg

Id like to replace with a newer intermatic model with digital module.
What do I do with the pool light (uses the 300w transformer ), the new boxes dont include transformers. Do I replace with a new 120v pool light or, add an external 300w transformer? Thanks.

Low voltage is definitely safer. We just had a couple of people in this area die swimming around boat docks that had stray voltage from the dock electrical systems. This was on 2 different lakes.

I'd suggest keeping the 12V lighting as it is much safer. The suggestion of moving the existing transformer into the new panel is reasonable, but must be done with extreme care. The code compliant transformers for pool luminaires have special protection to prevent contact between the high and low voltage terminals. The protection afforded by using 12V for the lighting fixtures is completely compromised if that protection is removed. In Intermatic 12V transformers for pools, there is a grounded metal shield between the high and low voltage terminal strips to minimize the potential for passage of high voltage along the low voltage wires. However, removing the transformer itself from the metal box supplied, and then placing this directly in the new panel would eliminate this grounded shield. What does the transformer that you are currently using look like? Also, is the circuit GFCI protected?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could upgrade your panel to a full automation system and add electronic control valves for your spa. That way when you want to use your spa you could just do it by the touch of a button and not have to make any manual changes to the valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.