Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any disadvantages to using dry acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any disadvantages to using dry acid?

After a few bad experiences at my pool store, I am now purchasing my chemicals from Home Depot. It's close and they have everything I need, except for one thing: muriatic acid. However, they do have dry acid, which should work just fine. Now, just to make sure, I was wondering if there are any bad side effects to dry acid? I know chlorine in powder form messes with the CYA levels, so before using acid in powder form, I wanted to verify it is ok to use:

Active ingredient is sodium bisulfate (93.2%). What do you think? Safe for regular use?

Thanks so much!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any disadvantages to using dry acid?

Check the stone/concrete section not pool section, they should have the acid there if they carry it.

The dry acid adds some sulfur but I don't recall what form it takes over time.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure where you're at but in Florida HD sells MA in 2 Gal pack in the garden center.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

I am actually located in southern CA. I will try the dry acid but will check the stone/concrete section for MA. The pool section is indeed in the garden center; I could only find the 2 gallon liquid chlorine pack but no MA.

5. Back To Top    #5

Dry acid will build up sulfates which at higher levels can be damaging to plaster/concrete surfaces (see Sulfates - what's the problem? and Sulfates why so bad?).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Dry acid is more expensive than muriatic. We get our acid from a plumbing supply store (at a very cheap price).
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, check the paint section, sometimes they have it there.

Don
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Cept for large local authority pools, it's all I ever use for acid, and cannot report any problems with it. I have known about the sulphate increase, but in my experience it is negligible, Muriatic Acid is certainly cheaper and more effective, but that can be balanced with the easier storage and handling of Sodium Bi-sulphate.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

9. Back To Top    #9

At the maximum limit of 300 ppm given by one of the references, you'd need to cumulatively add around 31 pounds (around 2.6 gallons) of dry acid per 10,000 gallons (equivalent to around 2.9 gallons of full-strength Muriatic Acid which is 31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) with no water dilution.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Not all chlorine in powder form changes CYA levels.

I don't believe calcium hypochlorite changes CYA levels.
    13,000 gallon; sand filter; inground; fibreglass; pump not sure yet (need to check); Installed over 12 months ago.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by juzzie
    Not all chlorine in powder form changes CYA levels.

I don't believe calcium hypochlorite changes CYA levels.
    Correct - however it does raise Calcium Hardness levels which can eventually lead to scaling.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump