Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can't blow out skimmers

1. Back To Top    #1

can't blow out skimmers

I have a new compressor http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051. I've set it up to 30psi and it's not blowing out my skimmers. They keep gurgling so I know there's water in there. What can I do other than getting a vac?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can't blow out skimmers

Have you tried blowing the other direction? Either from the skimmer to the pump or from pump to skimmer? When I blew my lines it was difficult from the skimmer toward the pump but simple from the pump to skimmer. Not sure why it was easier one way but, any water still in there was mixed in with the gallons of pool antifreeze after I got it blown out. .
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

I connected my compressor thru the drain plug in the pump gasket. How would I hook up a compressor through the skimmer side?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't imagine a compressor pushes enough volume to clear a skimmer line. I disconnect the pump union and use a shop vac to blow the line. I have Old Faithful 6ft high until the line is empty.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Just as JohnT said, I use my shop vac. I bought a 2inch rubber hollow center plug from the big box store, it slid right onto the shop vac nozzle. Stick the nozzle down into the skimmer pipe(basket removed) turn on. When I did it the other way and pushed water from the pump union it did just like John said- old faithful coming out of the skimmer.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.