Sta Rite SR400HD problem

Dec 16, 2012
I recently had a new Sta Rite SR400HD installed as a replacement to my old non-functioning Hayward H400 pool heater. After the intial install and firing up the heater, the fan turns on and the heater begins to operate for about 30 seconds and then it turns off a the Service Heater light comes on. The heater is new and has never been used. Any ideas on why the service heeater light is coming on?

well first off the unit should be under warranty so why not call it in? If you really insist on figuring out yourself, turn the system on and remove the four screws that hold the sides together, the remove the two pins that hold the top dome in place and flip the dome over and you should see which lights are lit and it will tell you whats going on. System has to be powered up.. Dont do anything to void your warranty.

I checked and it is giving me the HLS code. It also seems like the unit will turn on and the temp reading will say 66 degrees (whatever the pool water temp is) then the temp will rise up into the 120's and will cause the heater to turn off. This cycle goes on a few times and then the Service Heater light comes on. Could it be an issue with the plumbing of the pool and not the heater?

BTW, I just repalced the entire filter unit (Pentair CC150) and I am still getting the code. There was a crack in the bottom of the filter canister.

If it is new, sounds like something may have happened at the factory (or didn't happen). The heater has two different by-passes that may be stuck, missing, etc. Or, perhaps the heater has been plumbed backwards? I would verify that it is plumbed correctly, then call for warranty service as suggested earlier.

Note: if it is plumbed backward, it will not be warranty (Pentair) and you may get charged for the visit, so be sure to check first.

On these units the in coming water comes in the top pipe and then returns to the pool thru the bottom pipe. So if you trace your piping and see it to be the other way around you have your answer, piped backwards. I have seen many times where an installer rushes thru a job and plumbs the unit backwards.

My heater did the same thing at the beginning of the season. If you have automatiion, be sure your temperature settings and the auto/manual settings are correct. I think my heater was set on auto with a low temperature setting. Or was it on manual with a high temp setting? A few adjustments and it fired up and stayed on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.