Polaris 380 need dedicated intake and return lines?

Jul 8, 2012
McAllen, Texas
I have a Polaris 380 with dedicated line connection in pool installed. Having unrelated plumbing problems and pool guy said I need to run a dedicated line for the Polaris to get water and not be 'T''d off the main plubming. I don't see anything about this anywhere. Is he right? Thanks.

I have a 380. Water source is a T off the main return flow. I wonder if putting a dedicated suction would allow you to run it adequately without running the main pump. I also wonder if you could rig a bypass suction that went from just before the main pump to the booster with a check valve to give the same effect.

In any case, the normal way seems to be to T off of returns prior to chlorine feeders and swgs for booster pump's suction side feed.

- Sent using Tapatalk

The Polaris booster pumps are not self priming; meaning that, unless the booster is below the water level of the pool, it won't prime and will consequently run dry (not a good thing).

This is why the supply to the booster is typically plumbed into the pressure (return) side of the main pump via a "T".

bigfunky said:
I just had my pool built and I have a 380 with a dedicated line. All the returns and skimmers are dedicated as well.
I have a dedicated return, do you mean you have a dedicated suction also?

Sent via Tapatalk...

Qwaxalot said:
The Polaris booster pumps are not self priming; meaning that, unless the booster is below the water level of the pool, it won't prime and will consequently run dry (not a good thing).

This is why the supply to the booster is typically plumbed into the pressure (return) side of the main pump via a "T".
Recently my father-in-law turned on the booster without turning on the main pump... Days before I found this. No damage and no issues. Mine is plumbed as you describe.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thank you all so much. You really set my mind at ease in telling him no. I think he is just not familiar with the 380 and wanted to eliminate the booster pump. Since I am just learning things was afraid to disagree, but it didn't make sense to me. I truly appreciate this forum and hope eventurally to contribute when I finally have some knowledge. Oh yeah, and will become a supporting member, too. Need to fill out my profile now that I have a pool - in need of a rehab.

Mexicomike said:
Thank you all so much. You really set my mind at ease in telling him no. I think he is just not familiar with the 380 and wanted to eliminate the booster pump.

I did not realize he tried to get rid of the booster. The 360 will work without a booster, but not the 380.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.