Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Balance Issues Pt II

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Balance Issues Pt II

I wanted to start a new thread for the next stage of getting my pool into shape. In the first step I successfully shocked my pool which took a bit over a week to go from dark green to clear blue. The thread for interest is here help-pool-balance-issues-t54770.html

This morning I completed a full set of tests with the following results:

FC 7.5
    CC 0.5
    TC 8
    pH 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 180
    CYA 25
    Salt 5430ppm

The things I see need attending to are:

1. High TA needs dropping (acid and aeration)
    2. Low CYA (salt water pool)
    3. Black spot (currently brushing regularly with SS brush, longer term issue)

What is your advice on where to get started?

Thanks.
    55,000L kidney shape, concrete + 3M Colourquartz finish "Quartzon" + TF100 Test Kit
    Watermaid EZ300 SWG
    Tru Pool Fine Sand Filter
    Onga Pantera PPP1100 filter pump
    Ascon C1002 Solar Controller
    Astral Hurlcon CTX 180 Solar Heating Pump
    Onga Hammerhead Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Balance Issues Pt II

Try rubbing a puck on the black spot.
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry i'm new to this.... A "puck" is a chlorine tablet that looks like a hockey puck? How does this work, does it give a high dose of chlorine to the black algae killing it? How often do I apply, do I scrub in between times?

Appreciate the help.
    55,000L kidney shape, concrete + 3M Colourquartz finish "Quartzon" + TF100 Test Kit
    Watermaid EZ300 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Liquid chlorine/bleach + spray bottle = no more black spots at or above the water line.
    18K Gals, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair Catridge, SWG, Solar & Gas Heat, Pebble Tec, Jandy AquaLinks, Pool Pal for Android.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Rexyboy
    Sorry i'm new to this.... A "puck" is a chlorine tablet that looks like a hockey puck? How does this work, does it give a high dose of chlorine to the black algae killing it? How often do I apply, do I scrub in between times?

Appreciate the help.
    Yes. Trichlor our calhypo are available in 3" pucks/tablets. 1" trichlor are also available, not sure if calhypo comes that way.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Appreciate the help.
    Yes, that is a puck. You might be able to find one single-wrapped in a bin on the counter at the pool store. Or ask any neighbors who have non-SWG pools. They probably have a bucket of them. They are slow-dissolving Chlorine, and by setting it on the stain, it will bleach it out by keeping the FC in that area extremely high.

TA will come down all by itself if you just keep pH adjusted consistently. The aeration process only speeds it up.

Your CYA is too low for a SWG pool. You can wait a little bit until the black spots are gone and you're sure the algae is all gone to raise it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you checked to see if the black spot is a metal stain or if it is algae? Metal stains are generally smooth and won't scrape off, while algae will feel slimy and a small sample scraped off with a finger nail will stain paper green. The treatments are very different for metal stains and for algae spots.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Double what JasonLion just posted. Identify the stain positively before attempting the cure. Got any pics?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

The spots are very dark green and slimey which look black from the surface. Each spot is about 1/2" in diameter (or smaller) and they appear in clusters. They appear mostly in the shaded corners of the pool transitions and steps. You can scratch them with your finger nail and it leave a green slimey muck on your nail. I am pretty sure they are algae. I have continued to scrub with a SS brush which lightens the colour. I have not yet had the chance to rub the puck on them but I understand the idea.
    Watermaid EZ300 SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

That sounds exactly like algae to me. Didn't you just get done shocking your pool in your other thread?
    Either way you need to start the shock process to get rid of it. If you have already shocked, you should have kept going until those spots disappeared.
    That is unless they are above the water line, but it doesn't sound like it.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Using the shock process to eliminate black algae (your description makes me convinced you have identified it correctly) may use up an awful lot of chlorine......although it will certainly work.

What I would suggest alternatively is that you maintain your FC at about twice the normal level (so around 5-7 ppm with a pool of CYA 25) and then let that be your new "normal" until you can eliminate the black spot.

There is no quick, easy fix. Your best path is going to be to brush each spot daily (or twice daily, if you have time) with a stainless steel brush.

This will scrape off the top surface of the black algae and expose it to the elevated chlorine.

This procedure will take you WEEKS probably to kill it all but you can use your pool the entire time. You just have to be persistent until it is ALL gone.

If you have already boosted your CYA, consult the FC/CYA chart in Pool School to determine what your new FC level should be.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Academic question: what happens if you get black spot in a vinyl pool? Brushing with a steel brush is not an option.

Sent via Tapatalk...

13. Back To Top    #13

Vinyl pools almost never get black algae. Black spots on a vinyl pool are almost always staining of some sort so brushing wouldn't help anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Vinyl pools almost never get black algae. Black spots on a vinyl pool are almost always staining of some sort so brushing wouldn't help anyway.
    Thanks

Sent via Tapatalk...

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Using the shock process to eliminate black algae (your description makes me convinced you have identified it correctly) may use up an awful lot of chlorine......although it will certainly work.
    I thought that black algae was fuzzy and scaly, like lichen on a tree or a sidewalk. Hence the roots.
    At least that's what I have seen it as.

The spots are very dark green and slimy which look black from the surface. ..... You can scratch them with your finger nail and it'll leave a green slimy muck on your nail.
    Is he not describing just an particularly CL resistant algae scum buildup of some sort?
    Or is this a type of "black algae" that I haven't seen before, or described here at TFP in any case?

Thanks duraleigh.
    Always ready to learn more.
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Why don't vinyl pools get black algae? I have always wondered why I have never seen the stuff in a vinyl pool.
    Is it because it's far, far less porous, so it can't build up in the pores and take root?

17. Back To Top    #17

It's not only less porous but the chems in the liner help resist it somewhat.

If you scrape off the head of a black algae node the insides are green.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit