What order do I put my chemicals in the pool?

Nov 5, 2012
Columbia, SC
I just drained, cleaned, and put new water in my pool. I just tested my water, put the numbers in the calculator, made my list of all of the chemicals I need, and am headed to the store. I am buying bleach, calcium chloride, baking soda, and stabilizer. I have looked all over this site to find out HOW to add all these things, but can't find that section. Do I just pour all these things in the deep end at once? Is there an order to it and timing between?

Re: Just drained, and refilled my pool.

First off I would get a chlorine residual present, you should wait around 30 mins between adding different chemicals. Secondly I would then concentrate on Total Alkalinity/pH. Stabiliser will take upto a week to dissolve, placing it into a sock and leaving to dissolve will be best. Why do you need Calcium Chloride in a vinyl pool?

Re: Just drained, and refilled my pool.

Stu is right. No need to add calcium.

Get the CYA dissolving, get some FC in the pool, and keep the pH on range.

Post up your current test results. Can't be more specific with chems without the results.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I would do chlorine first, pH second, then any order after that (because everything else changes so slowly that frequent dosing won't be necessary). Wait 30-60 min between each chemical addition.

To each his own, but..... I have a 33' pool, so I add chlorine on one side of the pool, followed by acid (if necessary) on the other side of the pool right away. My chemical additions are geographically far enough away from each other that I can do it safely.

Sent from my Exhibit II using Tapatalk.

Smykowski said:
To each his own, but..... I have a 33' pool, so I add chlorine on one side of the pool, followed by acid (if necessary) on the other side of the pool right away. My chemical additions are geographically far enough away from each other that I can do it safely.

Using this method is dangerous and against safe working practices, for safety you should leave at least 30 minutes between each chemical addition.

There is a need for keeping your CH up in a certain range, especially if you have a heater. Most of the heaters have a recommended 200-300 range for CH (read your manual for specifics)
My pool store requires me to bring water monthly to ensure the overall results are in a range so they would support a warranty claim.
So even if you have a vinyl lined pool, this could still be important !!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CH won't protect the heater, but you can't argue against someone refusing to honor a warranty because it says you must maintain the CH. The theory is that saturating the water with calcium carbonate prevents metal corrosion, but that's controversial since forming a protective layer that is consistent and even given the temperature changes and tight turns in the heat exchanger is unlikely (see this link).

chem geek said:
The CH won't protect the heater, but you can't argue against someone refusing to honor a warranty because it says you must maintain the CH. The theory is that saturating the water with calcium carbonate prevents metal corrosion, but that's controversial since forming a protective layer that is consistent and even given the temperature changes and tight turns in the heat exchanger is unlikely (see this link).

And this thread. I asked the same question re CH in Liner Pools and am now satisfied that maintaining CH has no real effect in a liner pool at protecting impellers & heat exchangers in plant equipment

calcium-hardness-and-ph-alkalinity-t21461.html

A general good rule is to remember to add less than pool calculator calls for. It's always easier to add more then to remove. Your fill water will have some TA/CH also take that into account.
I feel it's most important to maintain a FC level, PH, TA, CYA, CH. I look at CH as the final thing to add to maintain the CSI where it needs to be.
I've also added borates to my pool.
Hope all is well with your pool and you get every opportunity to enjoy it.

Stuamurr, the debate on whether it helps or not is kind of immaterial.... the heater manufacturer "Does believe in the CH Claus", and will use it as an excuse to call you naughty and not to support its warranty if you do not play by the rules of the "Reindeer games". So I'm just trying to point out that there are reasons not to ignore it, especially if you have an issue with an expensive piece of equipment like the heater!

Some pool stores will also go to lengths to screw you on warranty if you don't play by their rules too, so just know the rules and make sure you "CYA" (Oh my did you see what I did there!)

bobodaclown, Love the borates too, really does make my poolwater better! Love the looks at the store when I buy 6-12 boxes at a time!

so I add chlorine on one side of the pool, followed by acid (if necessary) on the other side of the pool right away
Using this method is dangerous and against safe working practices, for safety you should leave at least 30 minutes between each chemical addition.
While waiting 30 minutes between different additions causes absolutely no harm, it seems to me it mighht be overthinking the issue a bit.

If you are releasing your chemistry directly in front of a return with the pump running, I can't imagine (after maybe about 5 minutes) any concentration strong enough to cause any harm.

Again, there is certainly no harm in waiting 30 minutes (absolutely 30 minutes before any testing) but I am not sure what dangers might be presented by shortening the interval.

Reactions: JRB100
duraleigh said:
While waiting 30 minutes between different additions causes absolutely no harm, it seems to me it mighht be overthinking the issue a bit.

If you are releasing your chemistry directly in front of a return with the pump running, I can't imagine (after maybe about 5 minutes) any concentration strong enough to cause any harm.

Again, there is certainly no harm in waiting 30 minutes (absolutely 30 minutes before any testing) but I am not sure what dangers might be presented by shortening the interval.

Totally agree, I release different chemicals in front of returns in quick succession however for the purposes of a public forum, giving advice based on ones own experience which is venturesome at the least should be avoided.

Red Shirt Ensign said:
Stuamurr, the debate on whether it helps or not is kind of immaterial.... the heater manufacturer "Does believe in the CH Claus", and will use it as an excuse to call you naughty and not to support its warranty if you do not play by the rules of the "Reindeer games". So I'm just trying to point out that there are reasons not to ignore it, especially if you have an issue with an expensive piece of equipment like the heater!

Quite correct, however as this thread is in a Just Getting Started area, it is prudent to point out the whole story regarding the issue of CH in Liner Pools, in order that the poster may investigate and decide as they see fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.