Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing SWG tomorrow, can I put the salt in today?

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing SWG tomorrow, can I put the salt in today?

I am having SWG installed tomorrow...but I have time to install the salt and stabilizer today.

Is it ok if do that now?

Thanks,

David
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing SWG tomorrow, can I put the salt in today?

Yes. Needs a little time to dissolve anyway.
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

3. Back To Top    #3

Sure go for it. Did you compute how many bags you'll need? You can use solar salt instead of "pool salt". Pool salt is finer ground. Remember your pool isn't at 0 for salt. So you may want to add a couple bags less. It's easier to add than to remove.

When I added my 12 bags, (do a couple of trips if you don't have a truck (don't overload your vehicle)), I added 9 or 10. Then brushed my sides down, it mostly dissolved in 1 hour or so. If you have your pump on aim a jet to the pile to help it dissolve. Dissolve time will also depend on water temp. So don't be too concerned. It will dissolve with time.

Good luck with your unit. It make pool care easier.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the answers - I am super looking forward to the SWG. No more lugging jugs!!
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Just like bobo said....go light then add more if needed.

Did you end up going with the Hawyard Aquarite 40K?
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

My pentair SWCG manual says to wait 24-48 hours after salt has been circulating before turning it on, it's supposed to reduce possibility of surge in the cell from undissolved salt.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, so the SWG is installed. It is the Compupool CPSC48, brand new and guess what? It has A LEAK. The o-ring seal where the salt cell gets screwed in is leaking. It is just a drip, not a gusher, and it is working, but kind of a bummer. I called Compupool and they emailed me a warranty form. Annoying that I have to fill out these forms and switch out the part, but let's hope the unit will be RELIABLE after they send me a replacement part. Anyway, I should have gotten the SWG sooner. So done with chlorine. The funny thing is, the money I saved buying bleach was wiped out by the cost of all the clothes ruined by bleach splash.

Let's hope we can get this baby WORKING

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Drockfresh
    So done with chlorine.
    No you aren't .....you are just making your own now.

Is it leaking on the inlet or outlet barrel union? Sure you just don't have a pinched o-ring or a burr on the plastic?
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

9. Back To Top    #9

I've got the same unit. It's a good unit overall. Are you running it 230 or 115 volts? You'll still occasionally use liquid chlorine (heavy bather load, shocking, any time you need to get your level up quickly).
    You may want to use some o-ring lube and re-tighten.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

It's the inlet. The o-ring is not sealing. It is very tight, I don't want to crack the plastic.

The cell was not screwed into the casing when the unit arrived. Did yours arrive screwed in?

I purchased it online and suspected something funky when I opened the box.

It's running at 230 - same as my pump.

Anyhow, I will get a replacement casing from the company. That will hopefully fix it.

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't remember, but I believe the casting was pretty tight screwing into them into the fittings.

12. Back To Top    #12

CompuPool sent me a new enclosure (they also sent a few different sized O-rings). Installed and the leak is gone.

13. Back To Top    #13

Great news! Glad it's working for you.

14. Back To Top    #14

The day I added my salt.

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!