Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I slow fast rising pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Brevard Co., FL

How do I slow fast rising pH

I have been struggling with keeping my pH from rising quickly. I can lower it with MA to 7.4 and then within a couple of days it is back to 8.0. I am told that new plaster pools have this issue.

This morning around 7 am the pH was at 7.4 and this evening at 7 pm it was already back up to 7.8.

Is there anyway to slow this down so I only have to add MA once per week? or even twice per week instead of daily?

The latest readings were:

FC= 4 CC = 0 pH=7.8 Acid Demand =1 TA=70 CH=390 CYA=60.
    12000 GAL Total Pool & Spa-1000 GAL Spa/IG/Exposed aggregate/Cartridge CC200/Pentair VS-3050 (174 GPM max.)/SWG-Pentair Intellichlor IC-40/Pentair EasyTouch4/ "The Pool Cleaner"/Screened Enclosure/ Taylor K-2006C Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: How do I slow fast rising pH

Not too much you can do.
    All to these cause the pH to rise: aeration (waterfall / spa overflow), SWG, high TA

You could try keeping the TA a little lower, and maybe adding borates, but that is about all you can do.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: How do I slow fast rising pH

It is completely normal for a new plaster pool to require acid additions daily for the first three to four weeks, and very little you can do about it. After that initial period the rate of PH increase will slow dramatically. PH increases will continue at the lower rate for about a year and then go away once the plaster finally finishes curing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School