Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie tip

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie tip

When draining your pool it's a good idea to turn off your auto fill valve water source. It sure drains quicker once you do!
    17,000 gal. inground gunite 30'X15' w/7'X7' Spa. FNSPlus 60 DE, 2.0 HP WhisperFlo, MiniMax 400 heater. No SWG.
    19 year old pool but new to me 10/2012. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie tip

LOL! Let me add another newbie tip:

When starting your pump, it's important that the cover be on the skimmer or it will draw air and you'll lose your prime. I chased around for an hour one day trying to figure out why my system, which had worked perfectly for weeks, was no longer able to establish suction. Put the cover back on the skimmer and voila!
    14,500 gallons, Clean and Clear 150 cartridge, IG, gunite, USQ 1152 1.5 hp motor (3450 rpm), Pentair Pinnacle Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by SebringDon

When starting your pump, it's important that the cover be on the skimmer or it will draw air and you'll lose your prime. I chased around for an hour one day trying to figure out why my system, which had worked perfectly for weeks, was no longer able to establish suction. Put the cover back on the skimmer and voila!
    I haven't experienced this when my skimmer cover is off.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Maybe it's something specific to my configuration then, but I can replicate it. Maybe it's because the weir's a little stiff but with the cover on there's enough suction to pull it down where it should be and the flow gets started. Once it's flowing I can take the cover off and it still works fine. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Guess it's time to inspect and lube the weir.
    14,500 gallons, Clean and Clear 150 cartridge, IG, gunite, USQ 1152 1.5 hp motor (3450 rpm), Pentair Pinnacle Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there a basket in the skimmer?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe we should start with what do you mean by a cover? Do you mean the top cover that keeps debris from falling into the skimmer? That's what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Maybe it's something specific to my configuration then, but I can replicate it. Maybe it's because the weir's a little stiff but with the cover on there's enough suction to pull it down where it should be and the flow gets started. Once it's flowing I can take the cover off and it still works fine. Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Guess it's time to inspect and lube the weir.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump