Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I need to replace my winter cover, the pool company didn't size it properly and the cover doesn't sit on top of the water (our winter has below freezing so we lower water below return lines).

Currently I have one of those black mesh covers and the person closing the pool stretches it out and then ties ropes to the loops and then stretches that as much as he can and pegs it to the fence, so I can see why some loops have broken and I can see why it gets pulled in when ice forms slightly in the middle.

From what I've seen, the cover is supposed to be big enough to sit on top of the lowered water and up the wall and should then just need water tubes and not rope?

Anyhow, online I can see two types of covers offered, Rugged Mesh which is more expensive and Micro Mesh, in the description both allow rain water to come through, which is what I need for my inground pool over the winter.

Can anyone recommend one over the other.

Thanks.

It isn't so much a question of which kind of mesh you want as it is a question of getting a safety cover, which can be walked on in an emergency, vs getting a standard cover which will wrap around a person/animal that falls into the pool. A safety cover is designed to be pulled taut during the spring and fall, and lowered down to the water level any time snow or ice might accumulate. A standard cover is lowered down to the water level at all times.

The kind of mesh only really affects how much light gets to the water. Micro mesh blocks more light, so there is less of a chance of algae growing.

From your description it sounds like your pool service has been using the winter cover incorrectly, possibly because it was not installed correctly in the first place or possibly because they simply have no idea what they are doing.

JasonLion said:
It isn't so much a question of which kind of mesh you want as it is a question of getting a safety cover, which can be walked on in an emergency, vs getting a standard cover which will wrap around a person/animal that falls into the pool. A safety cover is designed to be pulled taut during the spring and fall, and lowered down to the water level any time snow or ice might accumulate. A standard cover is lowered down to the water level at all times.

The kind of mesh only really affects how much light gets to the water. Micro mesh blocks more light, so there is less of a chance of algae growing.

From your description it sounds like your pool service has been using the winter cover incorrectly, possibly because it was not installed correctly in the first place or possibly because they simply have no idea what they are doing.

JasonLion,

In my case it is a question of which Mesh because my pool is enclosed by a locked fence. True when I purchased my pool, the original pool company that built provided an improperly sized winter cover, so the pool service company (different than the builder) didn't have much choice but to stretch it, but that's why Im looking to rectify that now. Thanks for recommending the micro as better, it will be my next purchase.

I haven't had issues with Algae because I tend to close in near freezing temperatures (November) and I'll try to get it open the first of April, may have even been March this year, was nice and clear.

It would be nice to use water tubes instead of ropes if that is really strong enough to old it up, but I suppose if it is installed correctly, whatever falls or freezes on it shouldn't add enough extra weight to pull it in the water, or will I need water tubes and rope?

Is there a particular brand of of Micro mesh that is better than another? I was going to buy the cheapest one I could find.

How do you think the cheapest micro mesh found here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/20X40-Rectangle ... 20c522d386

Will compare to a more expensive one found here:
http://www.poolcenter.com/poolcenter-in ... -cover.htm

When measuring, my pool is ovalish 18x36, so I have to measure so that it is long enough so that it sits across the entire surface of the water after being lowered for the winter (below return lines).

Same thing for water tubes, is it worth shelling out for more expensive ones. Do I go for single or double one?

Thank you.

A standard (non-safety) cover is always placed down on the waters surface. You can't pull it up above the waters surface for long because water bags will not be sufficient to prevent it from sliding back down again. Generally only safety covers are strong enough to be pulled up above the surface. The water bags are there to keep the cover from blowing away. When using a standard (non-safety) mesh cover you don't get the advantage of spring and fall debris blowing away, because it is usually impossible to keep the debris from getting wet, which prevents it from blowing away.

When buying covers they are normally sized larger than the specified size to allow for the extra length needed to run down the walls to the water. The specified size is nominally the size of the pool, while the cover is larger. I sometimes get one size larger so I have extra material to work with, but that isn't required.

Water tubes are fairly disposable. They only last perhaps two seasons on average, so I buy the cheap ones. There are some slightly more rigid water trays that last longer, but they are a little more work to handle. I like the double tubes, since they can still be used even if one side leaks, but they are a little more work to fill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.