I'm Alvin from Melbourne Australia and would like to say hi to everyone. I've stumbled across this website which I have found very useful but at the same time overwhelming. I'm hoping to get some help with understanding my pool and of course in the long term I'd like to be able to give back to others
So my situation is as follows; I've recently settled into a house with a swimming pool which I know very little about except certain specs and I'm trying to learn more about how everything works. I've read pool school (which I admit I don't seem to quite understand it all) but I've picked up things here and there and of course my aim is to understand more about my swimming pool and of course how to take care of it.
My pool specifications are in my signature and I also have a salt water generator.
Now I have some basic knowledge which was passed onto my from the owner which I'm trying to follow like keep the cover on to stop sunlight destroying chlorine, clean the skimmer?filter? which collects leaves in the actual pool being sucked up by a hammerhead. Clean another filter?(it's situated next to my pump) and backwash once a month.
So that's pretty much as far as my knowledge is concerned and I suppose I was hoping that I could have some assistance with queries below so I can understand my pool better and what exactly pool school is trying to tell me.
1) I have a SWG and a Pump and is it correct to say that all pools need pumps and the SWG runs off the pump? Or does it have another pump of its own?
2) Waterline tiles,concrete shell with Washington white pebble and diamond brite finish. Should i treat my pool like it's made of concrete and follow the ppm's etc based off this information? Or does the white pebble and diamond brite finish mean i treat it differently?
3) Chlorine does not affect PH levels, rather it acts differently depending on what the PH level is.
4) muriatic acid(I have a bottle of hydrochloric acid, whats the difference?)<pH>borax (pH's resistance to change is affected by Total Alkinity)
5) What's the difference between Total Alkinity and Borates? (They seem to serve the same purpose in that to control pH's resistance to change)
5) rain,sunlight, swimming <Free Chlorine> Salt water generators& chlorine (chlorine's resistance to change is affected by CYA levels)
6) Which test kit will be most suitable for me? I'd like to test for pretty much everything including salt(I tried reading the difference between the two but I have no idea as to what the differences are)
I know it's a lot of questions and any help would be greatly appreciated!