How many times should the pump turn the pool in a 24 hours?

May 26, 2012
Manatee County, FL
I have a Pentair VS 3050 with 4 speeds. My pool/spa is 12000 gallons. I am trying to figure out what to set my pump speed on and how long to run it. I am aware that all pools are different. What I want to know is if there are any benchmarks or standards that people have found as good starting points.

Re: How many times should the pump turn the pool in a 24 hou

2-3 turns in a 24 hour period (during swim season) is a good place to start.

I originally figured mine was set for about 2.5 times and I have adjusted it just slightly less over the years.

Note: the pump should be able to turnover the water two or three time a day, but you don't normally want to run the pump nearly that much. For a typical pool you run the pump for just a little less than one turnover per day. I'd start with one turnover per day, get everything working correctly, and then try slightly shorter run times and see how things go.

The IntelliFlo is most efficient when running at around 1000 RPM. As long as your skimmers are working well at that speed, that is a good target speed to use. You may need a somewhat higher speed to get the skimmers to work well, depending on your particular pool. Also, you will probably want some time at a moderately higher speed to get the pool cleaner working well for some portion of the run time each day.

I have my timer set on my singlespeed pump to provide just over 1 turnover - 1.5 turnovers per day (about 10-12 hours per day). But I do live in a forest.

About the only time I change that is if I make a big mess getting the winter cover off and when I'm charging the nature 2 cartridge - then I'll run 24 hours / day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.