Adding acid to a winterized, covered pool- does it mix well?

Jun 18, 2010
Just checked my levels by slipping under the cover, and my pH was a mile high as usual. Darker/pinker than the top color on the 5-drop quick checker that came with the T100 kit.
Last year, I suffered some scaling rough plaster over the winter due to pH that got too high without me checking it after January or so. That was the pool's first winter and it still loves acid.
So I dumped in a gallon of muriatic acid, but my question is how well will it distribute in a still pool without any circulation?
If I retest tomorrow, can I trust the results?

Re: Adding acid to a winterized, covered pool- does it mix w

No. It is heavier than water and will sink to the bottom without circulation.

It will not mix at all well, in fact it will tend to pool on the bottom, quite possibly enough to cause damage. Any chemical additions during the winter require some kind of mixing into the water. Things like brushing the pool or running a sump pump to move the water around are enough to take care of things. But acid simply poured into a pool with no circulation will not mix at all well and can easily cause damage.

From now on I would dilute it before you add. Also, if possible, take the cover off and pour the dilluted mixture around the perimeter of the pool. Acid just dumped into a pool, even with circulation, tends to sink right to the bottom. So, I don't know if you will see much of a difference in your reading or not (unless you check the same spot where you put the acid).

Well I'm glad I posted. I'll throw the sump pump in right now for a bit.
As always, I love a good internet forum.
And Merry Christmas to all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.