installing csst (natural gas) from house to patio

Likely a sewer pipe sized pipe. A pool heater likely requires the most gas. There are calculators online that can size the pipe for you given the required BTU and distance.

Not sure if the cost to install though.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Wanted to give a little more detail.

You will first have to decide how big you want everything to be. A grill can be around 50k BTU. I think fire pits can just about take all the gas you can supply ... 100k BTU is likely a good size. For a pool heater, you generally want as large as you can afford since it will heat faster, so those are 400k BTU.

Now how long is the pipe run?

Assuming that you size the line for everything to be running at the same time you have 550k BTU ~ 550 CFH (cubic feet)
A total run length (including adjustment for fittings) up to 40' would require a 1.25" pipe. Shorter than that would leave more margin, but you would have to use the same size to carry that amount of gas:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natur ... d_826.html

In reality, all the pipe would not have to be that large depending on the distances to each piece of equipment, but that gets into some more details that you do not yet have.

Given this info, you could maybe call and get some estimates either just based on this info or have people out to give actual quotes, but I do not know anything about what it would cost.

Thanks for the info. The deck is approx 150' from the gas meter, then the equip pad is another 50' from there. Right now I'm adding the second patio with the barbecue and fire pit, the heater is a longer range / maybe never, although I'm putting in a large enough pipe to cover it.
I wish I had of joined this site first or the pool people had helped a little more to educate me as I could have had the line in when they were installing other lines and I wouldn't need to do it now. They asked if I wanted a heater which I said no to so no more was said. I didn't think at that time it's better to put in extra conduits / gas line while there was an open trench.
I'll get someone who knows more about this but I wanted to have an idea what would be required first. It sounds like I will run a 1 1/2" line from the house to near the patio into a manifold, from there branch off two smaller (3/4" ?) lines under the patio, and have the option to run a larger (1" ?) over to the equipment pad at a future time.

Given that distance, you may need a 2" run from the meter if you go with the large equipment ... of course opting for a smaller pool heater could easily drop that size.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Cool web site, added to favorites. So according to the chart 2" pipe at 150' in length gives a pipe capacity of 971 mbh, not sure what that means though. I think it means this could supply devices using approx 971,000 btu max. The heater would need a 1 1/4" line at 50' long, and the barbecue a 1/2" line and the fire pit a 3/4" line, both at approx 15' long from the manifold with the 2" main supply. Prob would just use 3/4" for both. This would add up to 808 mbh total for the 3 supply lines.

You are correct it could carry ~ 971k BTU that 150' distance, but you have to remember that fittings (90s etc) add a lot of "resistance". I think there is a note on the page that you add 50% of the actual distance to account for the fittings.

In reality, what we are discussing is slightly over simplified and on the conservative side. There are more detailed methods that can be used to determine the pipe size. I can not recall what website I looked at previously with more detailed methods when I was considering having my house re-done.

You will have to dig a trench regardless of the pipe size, so using a slightly larger pipe may not be much of a $ increase since the amount of labor is the same.

Again, this is assuming that you are going to get the large pieces of equipment that I mentioned ... many grills, fire pits, and heaters are smaller than I used for the estimate.

EDIT: one other note. That table is for steel pipe ... often now a PE (?) plastic pipe is used which is quicker and easier to install, but requires special tools. There are fewer 90s since the pipe can bend into the risers, so the carrying capacity may be different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.