Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing Pool in Central Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing Pool in Central Texas

First time pool owner. We put in a fiberglass pool this past summer so this is our first winter with it.

I didn't plan on closing the pool as we only get a couple of freezing days during the winter. Tonight is our first night dropping below freezing. I checked my pump and it does NOT have an automatic turn on when the tempature get below freezing. Should I just run the pool during the coldest parts of the night?
    ____________________________________________________________ ______________________
    In the process of building a Lonestar Fiberglass Pools : Savannah in Caribbean Blue. 13,000 Gallons SWG, 4 therapeutic jets, Pentair 1 HP superflow (348023) pump, 200 Clean & Clear cartridge filter (CCRP-160353), Pentair salt cell IntelliChlor IC40, 3 LED lights, 1 skimmer, cantilever coping with integral light wheat color, and salt-rock pool decking finish.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing Pool in Central Texas

That is the safest option ... to keep the water moving.

Although in reality, it likely takes much longer than a few hours below 32 degrees for anything to freeze solid to cause damage. Keep in mind though that if it is also windy, that will pull the heat out of exposed pipes faster.

Lots of people in Tucson got burst pipes last year (although I do not recall hearing about pool plumbing, just house plumbing since typically the metal supply comes out of the ground and then enters the house) when the weather got below freezing over night and there was a lot of wind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We get a lot of wind since we are up on a hill, but I checked the water temp an it was at 74, so I don't think it will freeze even though we are suppose to reach 28 tonight. I just want to be save since my husband isn't home to tend to the pool. I guess I'll run it from 2am-6am.
    ____________________________________________________________ ______________________
    In the process of building a Lonestar Fiberglass Pools : Savannah in Caribbean Blue. 13,000 Gallons SWG, 4 therapeutic jets, Pentair 1 HP superflow (348023) pump, 200 Clean & Clear cartridge filter (CCRP-160353), Pentair salt cell IntelliChlor IC40, 3 LED lights, 1 skimmer, cantilever coping with integral light wheat color, and salt-rock pool decking finish.

4. Back To Top    #4

That will keep you safe.

When it gets really cold, some people also put a tarp or something over all the equipment and even run a 100 watt light bulb under it to keep the pipes warmer ... but that is not likely needed in you case.

EDIT: Interesting experimental data:
    freezing-in-central-florida-t40173.html#p327663
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for that link. Very interesting.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm way NE of you in Texas and didn't have any problems in Feb. of last year when we had that 4 day freakish run where it never broke above freezing. Just ran the pump and made sure my generator was good to go in case we lost power. 100 watt bulb on a drop cord light under a tarp is good. Also bought some of that low voltage heating cord like is used on mobile home pipes "just in case". That covered with some aluminum backed/foam adhesive tape works wonders.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!