FREEZE PROTECT Question

Sep 5, 2012
Brand new pool, so brand new pool owner.
In-ground pool with built in spa in Dallas Texas, SWG but salt hasn't been installed yet. About 16k gallons with pebble sheen.

OK, when I look on the Jandy PDA on the Freeze Protect there is a list with several equiptment listed. Filter, Spa, Air Blower, Lights, but only Filter with X to it. The spa does not have an X next to it. But they share the same pump, so I assume this is why the PB didn't turn on Freeze protect for the spa. Does that sound correct?

We have been using the heater for the spa the last couple of days, is there anything we need to do to protect the heater in a freeze situation?

Thanks!

Depending on how the spa is plumbed it may get freeze protection when the pump is running. I'd call the PB and ask that specific question. Barring that, post a pic of the equipment pad especially the valves and we may be able to figure out if there's a bypass so the spa flows water whenever the pump is running.

Looks like you setup moves all the water through the filter and the heater ... so if the pump is on, then the heater will have moving water.

What is the 2nd pump for? cleaner or spa jets? Might be possible that setting something the Jandy could turn it on as well.

Does your spa spill over to the pool when the Jandy is set to Pool? That would also keep water moving through the spa plumbing.

The 2nd pump is for the cleaner. On the Jandy Freeze Protect screen it says it could turn on the Cleaner, but it doesn't look like they have it set.
Is this something I should set up tonight? Is it bad to have it running for probably 8 hours?

The Spa does spill over when set to pool, the fountain pushes it over. Thanks for your help!

Running the cleaner pump is the only way to keep water moving through those exposed pipes to prevent freezing. But, in reality, it requires longer than a few hours below 32 degrees for pipes to freeze solid and cause damage ... remember wind can speed up that process, but even then the coldest the equipment can get is the air temperature without violating the laws of physics.

You could also throw a tarp / blanket over the equipment when the air temp is supposed to get below freezing.

EDIT: Interesting experimental data:
freezing-in-central-florida-t40173.html#p327663

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an additional question to add.

If the freeze protect turns on pumps and stuff should water feature valves be in the open position so that water is moving through the pipes?

Is it possible to have a closed section freeze when the rest of the system is circulating (e.g. Tanning ledge bubbler)?

thanks for the info, and your very right it's probably not likely.

Rather to be safe than sorry i still left mine partially open so there will be some flow if the pumps kick on.

Interesting that this topic us up top today. I'm in Houston , last night was our 1st cold night of the year.

About 6:00 AM I awakened to what I thought was heavy rain. When I got up I looked out and there was no rain. I quickly recognized that my pool / waterfall was on. OK , I can mark that as something else that works properly.

What are we supposed to do when it gets really cold ? Every few years we might have a full day when it's below freezing ( In 1989 it was zero for at least 48 hours ) ... What are we supposed to do then ?

My guess is the pumps will just run the duration of the cold spell as intended.

My wife sort of freaked out also when she saw our water descents running with the power switch off hahaha she woke me up to ask if it was normal and I said I sure hope so :)

I had the same question.. I just went out to check to see if the heater actually comes on in the spa mode. My freezing cold hand came back up out of the water like a rocket. No heat... just pumps that circulate and alternate between spa and pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.